Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jonjuan

Honey Ryder
http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/new_york_state/091106-Airplane-Part-Falls

Airplane Part Falls On Long Island Lawn
Updated: Friday, 06 Nov 2009, 8:31 AM EST
Published : Friday, 06 Nov 2009, 7:10 AM EST

BY LUKE FUNK

MYFOXNY.COM - Police in Roosevelt, Long Island are investigating an airplane part that fell on a front lawn.

It happened Thursday evening at 215 Lincoln Avenue. No one was hurt.

The object was metal and was about three feet by four feet. It was cone shaped.

There's no word on what airline the part fell from or where the flight was headed. Roosevelt is East of JFK Airport.

Why is photo 3 of a different part than the one depicted in photos 1 and 2 on the link provided?

Why is photo 3 of a different part than the one depicted in photos 1 and 2 on the link provided?

Excellent point, but I think it's because it's an oval cross-section (photo 3 was taken showing the narrow side). But, why does it look like welded steel, as opposed to riveted aluminum or molded fiberglass? About the only steel I can think of on the exterior is landing gear and engine exhaust cones, which that isn't. And, if it fell from the sky, why is it so perfectly in-tact? My guess is that this is a hoax.

Ditto on the hoax, looks like military surplus- maybe part of a drop tank? Sure didn't fall from the sky.

It was a DL 777... JFK-NRT.

Part was discovered to be gone on postflight.

Looks like it would make a nice hat.

OK, upon looking at 777 engine photos, it appears to be the back-end cone of a 777 engine.

Latest resources

Back