Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

airplane wizard

Hi,

Are any twin engine helicopters certified/capable of a single engine takeoff?

Are any Helicopters certified for flight into known icing? If so, what kind of de-ice/anti-ice systems do they have?

Thanks

Brian

For your first question. NO just like there are no twin engine airplanes certified for single engine takeoffs. Many twin engine helicopters have what is called category A performance limits that limit weights to a point that the helicopter may continue the takeoff if an engine fails during takeoff.

As for known icing. I believe that the Coast Guard is the only organization in the US operating helicopters with anti-icing. In Europe you will find Puma's and S61's with anti-icing. Presently Sikorsky and Augusta are working on certifying helicopters for know icing.

Rick is about spot on. There are a number of CAT A twins which can lose an engine on take off and continue fly away.

I guess I am not exactly sure what you are asking on the first question when you ask "Are any twin engine helicopters certified" Do you mean are there any out there that allow you to take off single engine and conduct operations instead of running both engines? If that is the question, then no, I have not heard of any twin engine being certified to do so.

As far as capable goes, one could argue that most twin engine aircraft are capable of taking off single engine. That is as long as you get enough room to get the aircraft to a speed that would allow the aircraft enough lift to maintain flight in a single engine configuration before leaving the ground.

I have flown in a few twin engine aircraft that can hover on only one engine with ease and would be capable of taking off as well. But then you go back to whether that is allowed or not.

SH-60B Icing

As delivered by Sikorsky, the SH-60B Seahawk was capable of flight in icing. It required special equipment to be installed. This equipment was part of a system that delivered electricity to the leading edges of the main rotor blades for heating.

With more than 1700 hours in the H-60, I don't believe I ever flew an aircraft with this equipment installed as the Navy did not purchase enough for every airframe... so these black boxes were usually kept in storage and only issued to aircraft deploying to cold enviroments.

Originally all of the fleet's the Main Rotor Blades had the required connections and heating elements installed, just not connected to anything. Not sure if this is still true as they became maintenance issues for no good reason when the wiring was damaged.

As delivered by Sikorsky, the SH-60B Seahawk was capable of flight in icing. It required special equipment to be installed. This equipment was part of a system that delivered electricity to the leading edges of the main rotor blades for heating.

With more than 1700 hours in the H-60, I don't believe I ever flew an aircraft with this equipment installed as the Navy did not purchase enough for every airframe... so these black boxes were usually kept in storage and only issued to aircraft deploying to cold enviroments.

Originally all of the fleet's the Main Rotor Blades had the required connections and heating elements installed, just not connected to anything. Not sure if this is still true as they became maintenance issues for no good reason when the wiring was damaged.

The Blackhawk is authorized for flight into known trace, light or moderate icing conditions, dependent on equipment installation. Moderate requires Windshield Anti-ice, Pitot heat, engine anti-ice, engine inlet anti-ice modulating valve, insulated ambient air sensing tube and the blade deice kit (this is on both the main and tail rotor assemblies).

Flight into heavy or severe icing is prohibited. Also, aircraft equipped with blade erosion kits are prohibited from flight into known icing conditions.

Reference TM 1-1520-237-10 chapter 5. In my unit, all of the birds were equipped for icing. I flew A and L models.

Latest resources

Back