Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HA25

Tokyo Tokyo!
This is from a local SL Paper, I got it off of another message board. Anyway, it sounds like good news for AA, and I agree with Carty, that the life support the Government is giving ailing airlines can also work to prolong the needed consolidation to make this a more healty industry. The overcapacity issue needs to be delt with in the free market. Also, I assume, if there are any more pilot recalls, they will have to come from the AA side of the house, or am I wrong?

----------------------------------------

By David Nicklaus
Of The Post-Dispatch
The Associated Press Contributed To This Report.

American Airlines expects to recall more than half of its 9,000 furloughed workers by the end of this year, Chief Executive Donald Carty said Thursday.

Those workers include 1,235 flight attendants, pilots and ground workers in St. Louis. Some were laid off after American acquired Trans World Airlines Inc., and others lost their jobs after September's terrorist attacks.

In a speech at Washington University's Olin School of Business, Carty said the airline's downtown reservations center is back to full strength. "I believe the bad news here is largely behind us," he said.

Carty said he doesn't expect American to apply for the loan guarantees that the federal government offered after September's terrorist attacks. Airlines must apply for the loan guarantees by the end of June.

Carty said he expects two or three of the nation's nine major airlines to join America West Holdings Corp. in seeking the federal help. He said the aid would delay consolidation that's necessary for the airline industry to regain its long-term health.

"I don't know whether there will be four or five (airlines), but it's not as many as we have today," Carty said.

But with the government guaranteeing loans, he said, "No one's going to run out of cash, so no one's going to file for bankruptcy. The events of Sept. 11 have actually slowed down the process of airline consolidation."

Carty said, as he has in the past, that a St. Louis hub is important to American, and that the company wants to make it more attractive to travelers. He said the company is "engaged in a program to do a quick look at our existing terminal, and how we might enhance its look and operation and, in light of the current economic environment, do so for a relatively modest amount of money.

"Ultimately, we'll have to sort through the even longer-term issue of whether or not, and in what time frame, St. Louis really needs a new terminal."

Tentative pact reached

CHICAGO - United Airlines and the union representing 25,000 ground workers reached a tentative contract agreement Thursday after 28 months of negotiations, a spokesman for the carrier said.

The tentative settlement with the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers would give many of the carrier's baggage handlers and customer-service representatives their first raise since 1994, assuming they ratify the deal.

Reporter David Nicklaus:

E-mail: [email protected]

The industry has tried to consolidate (U/UAL, Aloha/Hawaiian)but politicians refuse to allow market forces to act. As long as people like John McCain and Jim Oberstar are allowed to obstruct what would otherwise be natural processes, the industry will not resolve its capacity issues. Interestingly, some of these same senators and congressman who intervened and helped derail the U/UAL merger are now saying that market forces should be allowed to prevail and these airlines should not be allowed to access government assistance via the ATSB.

Last edited:
I agree about McCain. For being a former pilot himself, he sure has a way of doing everything he can to piss us off. I have sent his office emails (I live in AZ) and got not a thing in response. I once saw his wife at he local mall in Scottsdale, and was tempted to approach her and demand that her husband respond to me, but then immages of being locked up in jail quickly changed my mind.

It is frustrating that our government is still talking about aid to airlines now. The airlines have been much worse off in the past and there was no aid offered. The time has passed, and the strong will survive. This includes American, Delta, Continental, UAL (I think) and Northwest. Obviously Southwest is a given. The rest are destined for merger and fragmentation.

V70T5 said:
This is from a local SL Paper, I got it off of another message board. Anyway, it sounds like good news for AA, and I agree with Carty, that the life support the Government is giving ailing airlines can also work to prolong the needed consolidation to make this a more healty industry. The overcapacity issue needs to be delt with in the free market. Also, I assume, if there are any more pilot recalls, they will have to come from the AA side of the house, or am I wrong?

----------------------------------------

By David Nicklaus
Of The Post-Dispatch
The Associated Press Contributed To This Report.

American Airlines expects to recall more than half of its 9,000 furloughed workers by the end of this year, Chief Executive Donald Carty said Thursday.

Those workers include 1,235 flight attendants, pilots and ground workers in St. Louis. Some were laid off after American acquired Trans World Airlines Inc., and others lost their jobs after September's terrorist attacks.

In a speech at Washington University's Olin School of Business, Carty said the airline's downtown reservations center is back to full strength. "I believe the bad news here is largely behind us," he said.

Carty said he doesn't expect American to apply for the loan guarantees that the federal government offered after September's terrorist attacks. Airlines must apply for the loan guarantees by the end of June.

Carty said he expects two or three of the nation's nine major airlines to join America West Holdings Corp. in seeking the federal help. He said the aid would delay consolidation that's necessary for the airline industry to regain its long-term health.

"I don't know whether there will be four or five (airlines), but it's not as many as we have today," Carty said.

But with the government guaranteeing loans, he said, "No one's going to run out of cash, so no one's going to file for bankruptcy. The events of Sept. 11 have actually slowed down the process of airline consolidation."

Carty said, as he has in the past, that a St. Louis hub is important to American, and that the company wants to make it more attractive to travelers. He said the company is "engaged in a program to do a quick look at our existing terminal, and how we might enhance its look and operation and, in light of the current economic environment, do so for a relatively modest amount of money.

"Ultimately, we'll have to sort through the even longer-term issue of whether or not, and in what time frame, St. Louis really needs a new terminal."

Tentative pact reached

CHICAGO - United Airlines and the union representing 25,000 ground workers reached a tentative contract agreement Thursday after 28 months of negotiations, a spokesman for the carrier said.

The tentative settlement with the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers would give many of the carrier's baggage handlers and customer-service representatives their first raise since 1994, assuming they ratify the deal.

Reporter David Nicklaus:

E-mail: [email protected]

V70, To answer your question on pilot recalls, when AMR starts recalling pilots the next to be recalled will be 310 TWA pilots then 386 AA pilots, although all are AA pilots anyway, but yes they would be from the TW side

Well this is good news and I hope that they recall someof the AA guys as well and we could see the rest recalled next year and some hiring by mid-late next year - if this economy cooperates.

Latest resources

Back