Some basic questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Horizon said:
Because if you need to go around, the aircraft will not climb very well with full flaps.

It won't climb very well with full flaps on a calm day!!!!
Keep flaps up to make a cleaner thus faster airplane----gives you more control authority when the gusts atart kicking your butt.

Yeah, it only took doing that once during my PPL training to understand that lesson.

Dave
flyer172r said:
If you get a chance, simulate an approach to landing at a safe altitude (with your CFI of course), and try raising all the flaps at once in a simulated go-around. You'll find out real quickly why it's a bad idea to raise them all at once. I could tell you what happens, but that would ruin the surprise :D

I'm not sure about the 152 and 182RG, but approach speeds for the 172R/S model are 65 kt for softfield and 60 kt for short field. Normal approach speed is also 65 kt. All flap settings provide more lift, but flaps 10 degrees, for example provides additional lift with the least amount of additional drag than flaps 30 degrees. That's why you use 10 degrees of flaps for soft and short field takeoffs, which provides a slower rotation speed. The flap on the Cessna is a slotted fowler, which increases wing area as it extends.

Last edited:
Why is it a bad habit to use full flaps when dealing with gusty cross winds?

Interesting, helpful answers to this one. I always thought it was to shorten that slow, ground effect portion of the flight right after the flare where you're bleeding airspeed and floating down the runway in the x-wind. Also, reduced flaps help the airplane settle a little more positively onto the ground at touchdown...and stay there.

Latest resources

Back