Some ATA Info...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TriStar_drvr

A few items for those of you inerested in ATA ( and for those tired of seeing nothing but SWA stuff on this board. Just kidding :) )

First of all, effective November 18 the new System Chief Pilot will be Captain John Graber. Current Chief Pilot Dave Lindskoog will become the director of training on that date.

A small class of 737 FOs started training on November 4. It consisted of three new hires and three recalled flight engineers.

The results of the recent base/status bid had a total of 58 757 FO positions, 31 737 FO positions, and 3 L1011 FO positions left unfilled.

Also, another base/status bid with more 737 and 757 captain positions is anticipated for sometime in the spring of 2003. This should result in more open FO positions as current FOs upgrade.

The company and the union have agreed to let scheduling build lines up to 90 hours for the month of December to cover shortages of crews while the training department attempts to catch up.

Finally, to those interviewing next week. Good luck, and enjoy the trip to Indianapolis. Hope to see you on the line soon.

Brad

I've had an application in with ATA for 20 months and have had very little return information. I finally got the toll free number to HR and found out my app was out of date an needed to be redone. But before I could get a new app, I had to get a letter of recommendation from the ATA employee that has been trying to get me an interview for over a year. Go figure. Thank God for military stoploss, or I would be out on the street like so many others. Anyway, I did find out that the above info is true, but when and how much hiring will happen is anyone's guess. If you would like the 1-800 number just let me know, but I think you need a personal rec from an ATA employee to get the paperwork. Good luck.

Brad,
Any idea what the current timeline is from interview to notification to training is right now?

I'll confirm that

I talked w/ an ATA captain yesterday and he said that the only apps going out for the immediate future are to the people in the "short pile" who have a LOR from an ATA employee. I guess if you don't know anyone who works there its pretty useless to keep sending in requests........... Oh screw it I'll keep sending in an updated resume just to be a squeaky wheel.

Rice

LOR, not necessarily...

I leave for my interview tomorrow, got the call a couple of weeks ago and I don't know anyone at ATA. Keep sending in those resume updates! Good luck.

rican - Latest rumors on classes are maybe a 737 class in December. Seems like a strange time to have a class to me but we're really short on people right now so who knows. Also, probably an L-1011 and a 737 class each month for at least the first three months of '03. And throw in a 757 class or two in there somewhere as well. This was the latest that I heard before I left Indy a month ago for L-1011 school in Atlanta. BTW, the L10 is one of the sweetest machines you could possible imagine. I feel soooo fortunate to get hired by someone that still flies them. Good luck to all with your search for the perfect job. Contrary to popular belief, they ARE still out there!

Hey Bill,

I hope you guys are studying hard at Spondivits! I just got back from my first IOE trip. The L-1011 is definately a cool airplane. Apparantly, I need more practice landing, though. 365K pounds of metal definately can come down hard!

Scott

Mesascott,

Congrats on your job at ATA! I too would love to fly the Tristar one day - I have always been a fan.

I noted from your bio that you have experience on the EMB-145. How was the transition from an all-glass cockpit BACK TO dials and switches? Was that difficult? Do you miss the moving map for navigation, etc.?

Also, when you were hired, were you given the option to select other aircraft types in the fleet like the 757 or 737-800? Personally, I would choose the Tristar as well - looks like a lot of trips to the Middle East coming up...

Cheers

Starshipper,

There are many things about the E-145 that I miss. When I was flying the RJ, there were many times when I commented on how lazy the FMS was making me. I just started flying the L-1011, but it seems like I have to do a lot more thinking in this plane.

Going back to the round dials was not a big deal, but I sure do miss the moving map.

See ya!

Latest resources

Back