Solidarity

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Burt Reynolds said:
That didn't work so well with the ATC guys back in the 80's...

Do not get me started! ;)

A national SOS would violate the Railway Labor Act in several ways. Just planning such an event, or talking about it in a purposeful way within ALPA, would probably constitute conspiracy to commit a federal offense. Further, even wildcat strikes, mass sick-outs, slowdowns, rolling strikes, or the like, would be considered job actions subject to the RLA.

I'm not saying I wouldn't fully support an SOS -- I would. But it would be nearly impossible to engineer, and could have serious consequences for some individuals.

BTW, the PATCO strike was illegal -- there were controllers who were jailed. But the controllers were dealing with a single employer, and working under one contract, with a single union leadership (such as it was); they had a solidarity that would be virtually impossible to achieve across the many ALPA pilot groups.

What would be great -- several pilot groups engaging in legal job actions at the same time. For instance, um ... NW and DL and ?

JumpCaptain said:
The problem is this: It's unfair to ask a pilot to risk putting his own company out of business because some other pilots at some other comapnies are having trouble with their management.

For example, guys at XJT and Eagle aren't about to go on strike and hurt their own companies because guys at Mesaba and Comair are getting a$$ fuc8ed.

I wish there were an answer Bum, but I just don't know what it is.
Not only that, but with a world wide glut of airframes, what would stop congress from allowing foreign carriers to come in take up the slack? Nothing, just a big illegal strike by all the carriers.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back