• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So you want to be a pilot???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Its a hard career but anything worth having, you have to work hard to keep.

I been in the game quite awhile myself...and yes I still say its a great job.

But you do have to put up with alot of BS, just have to roll with it.

Self Preservation

In the interest of self preservation it is a good idea to pause and measure what has been lost before investing another ten years. Most airline pilots leave a trail of ex-wives, forgotten children and financial ruin in their wake. This career can demand a huge price and still leave you with nothing.

Just a thought,

Skyline

And did we mention that if you make the slightest mistake, you're dead and your family will be put through years of court trials and have it announced to the world that you were an idiot?

And if any one of hundreds of people make the slightest mistake, you're still dead and your family will still be put through years of court trials and have it announced to the world that you were an idiot?

And even if you weren't an idiot, your family will still have to pay lots of money to prove that you weren't, and they can still lose?

Next, should you witness one of your co-workers auger in, you are still expected to depart on time. If that event happens to cause any distress on your part, you will be expected to report any treatment and be removed from flight status and income-production status immediately.

At any time we may decide to give you a checkride to ensure your performance is up to snuff. If you fail, you will be terminated immediately, fined, and possibly jailed.

If there is anything you forgot to tell us, even while as a child, we will find out and you will be fired, fined, jailed, and will never fly again.

Oh, and one more thing... You're furloughed and don't even think about taking another job without getting our permission first. If you do happen to find another flying job, you'll have to be terminated from our employ first, and we're don't give good references to those that have not completed training.

Finally, your every word is being recorded.

Have a nice life.

JetiN, I have been flying for over 40 years, this is still a great career for those who love being around airplanes. There are too many negative vibes in your post. BTW, if your check rides are not a piece of cake perhaps you are in the wrong business. Your view is entirely too pessimistic and does not reflect the average career.

It is a great job, but sometimes a crappy career. I am sure that you can say that about most jobs. If you see a check ride as a threat, either you or your training department have some issues. If you fly airplanes because yo love it and cannot imagine doing anything else, you will be just fine. If you take your first flying lesson with only the goal of being a major airline pilot making a boatload of cash, you will likely be disappointed and unhappy.

Every flying job that I ever had was the best flying job that I ever had (even through two bankruptcies and one shutdown).

JediNein said:
At any time we may decide to give you a checkride to ensure your performance is up to snuff. If you fail, you will be terminated immediately, fined, and possibly jailed.
Jailed for a busted checkride? YIKES! :eek:

Hey, Chest sounds you are using my trailer

pilotyip said:
Still is a great career, beats being in the office 8-5

A couple of things to keep in mind for those pilots who feel they are carrying the problems of the world on their shoulders. You are not alone.

Pilots are not alone in dealing with the problems of the economy. IBM, a very profitable, and successful company just decided to scrap it's pension plan. Ford is about to lay off 30,000 or more employees and close several factories. This will more than likely also involve some pay, and benefits cuts for it's remaining employees. The health care industry is having problems. Many hospitals are having financial problems. Hospitals are having to lay people off, including the hospital my parents work at. Retail companies are having a hard time, other than the holiday season, as more and more are staying at home and shopping online. Retail companies have had to lay off employees. My sister was in retail management, and recenlty lost her job. Plants and factories of all kinds are closing, and laying off workers. Many engineers are having their jobs outsourced to other countries. I know a Mechanical engineer who quit his job as an engineer, and opened his own flight school to flight instruct. His reason; he hated his job, and he was concerned about the out sourcing of jobs like his.

The typical average american now works 50 or more hours per week, with men typically working more hours; its not just a 9-5 job anymore. The average starting salary, based on the 19 most common college majors, including the highest paying, such as engineers, is about $35,000 per year. The average yearly American salary is $39,795 per year, or $19.13 per hour.

While the airline industry is having it's problems, remember that others are having the same problems as well; pilots are not dealing with this alone alone! Things will straighten up eventually; just try to keep a good attitude, and it will make things a lot better. :) :beer:

I couldn't agree more with you guys - I had a office job doing IT work for the biggest lightbulb maker in the world, and got layed off. During my time off, I finished up my ratings and chased my dream. I never go to work dreading it, and have enjoyed the process getting to where I am now.

Propnose said:
I couldn't agree more with you guys - I had a office job doing IT work for the biggest lightbulb maker in the world, and got layed off. During my time off, I finished up my ratings and chased my dream. I never go to work dreading it, and have enjoyed the process getting to where I am now.

Nice looking jet -- is that the one you fly in your avatar?

I think one of the problems is that many pilots think that they are dealing with this alone. Truth is, regardless of the industry, people are dealing with this everywhere. It is easy to get caught up in the 'grass is always greener' thought, but that isn't always the case, and usually the people you view as having 'greener grass', are in fact thinking the same thing of you.

Latest resources

Back