So what's the skinny with Flight Options

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

xanderman

Can anybody really tell me what they truely think of flight options? Talked to a buddy who only has second hand knowledge of the operations and he seems to think that options sucks. Bad mx or something. Also you basically have to kiss everybodys butt just to not get fired. Please can someone get me the real info! I have submitted a resume and desperately want to know the truth behind it all...
Andy:D

now that's the definition of flame bait..........................

Hi!

We do exactly the same thing FltOps does, except we have boxes instead of people. I see them a lot at a lot of the places we fly.

I have asked quite a few pilots at FltOps how they like it. 1 guy said he liked his major airline better (he is furloughed), but it was a decent job. That was the most negative thing I heard from anyone.

It sounds like NetJets is better organized, but at the present time I believe FltOps pays more-if/when NJ gets their new contract done, they will be paid more.

I would gladly fly for FO. (I applied 2 years ago and never heard back. I was not in a flying job at the time.) They have excellent equipment. I haven't heard anything negative about their MX.

Cliff
GRB

Fine, I'll bite. It's probably been covered 20 times already in the Options vs. Netjets never-ending battle. MX is good. If it's broken, write it up where you sit. If it's a grounding item, it'll be fixed. Otherwise defer it and it'll be fixed within a day or two.

You don't have to kiss butt to keep your job. Don't do anything stupid and don't say anything stupid, you'll be fine.

This job isn't a major airline job. You will throw pax luggage, you will give them a safety briefing if they want one, you will give them water and a glass of ice if they ask (before the flight). It's more work than an airline job, but it's much more diversified as well. You'll fly to every state in the lower 48 in your first year. If your buddy went to Redmond last tour, you'll know in what state it is located and you'll also know the lady he picked up. Our pay isn't major airline pay, but we can survive. Granted, a payraise would be nice, but that will come with time.

Fractional flying is fun unless you are stuck in the Northeast. Even then it's fun trying to get out. Most of all, the pilot group at Options makes the job. You won't work with a better group of folks than at our place. There's a few bitter pilots here and there, but fewer and more far between lately (personal experience). Overall, I'm happy here and I think that's the general concensus. I have several friends from Options who frequent this board, and I dare say they'd agree. If you are trying to get on board, best of luck. It's a pretty good gig.

Last edited:
Options

I have been with Options for almost three years, never had any problems with MX at all and I have never had to kiss any butt! Most everyone is very friendly and happy, but of course we have a few whinny babies that will never be happy. You can live on the pay and its not that bad, better than most places. I am very happy here and I think if you talk to most pilots you will hear about the same. Good luck trying to get on, I know we are still hiring some.

Fly Safe......

A few FO questions:

1. How many King Airs are still flying and what are the King Air plans going forward with the Premiers coming on line? Will the King Air stay or will it be phased out? When will the Premiers enter the fleet - and how many are expected?

2. When a newhire is hired, is he/she placed in a fleet based on total time or experience? For example, would a high-time pilot be placed in a Falcon 50 or Challenger vs. a King Air or Beechjet?

3. How is the Citation X program going? How many more do you expect to add to the fleet? Is it a popular fleet among the pilots - I would love to fly it if given the opportunity.

Thanks

Thank you...

Thanks to the folks who took the time to get me good info. Yes I'm seriously trying to get on there. But as always I worry about ending up somewhere I'd rather not be. I have an airline background and I am unsure how it all works with customer service and all. As I'm sure you know we just basically sit upfront and do our thing. Right now I'm flying for an outfit that is a little more corporate style but still modeled after a small airline. Just out of curiosity how long to upgrade and can you get hired in to a medium or heavy airplane? Do you work on a seniority list? Well anyhow thanks to all the guys with the good stuff...
Andy:D

Heavy and Andy-

1. Don't know the exact number of King Airs flying right now. Probably in the neighborhood of 13-15ish. It sounds like the King Air is here to stay, we have some extremely dedicated owners. They'll still be around when the Premier comes online. Rumor has it first Premier will show up in July, and we will take one per month for an indefinite amount of time. We have many shares sold in the airplane, but I don't think a number has been announced on how many will make up the fleet.

2. When a new-hire is placed into a fleet, it will be in the King Air or the small cabin jet fleets. Typically if you have no jet experience you'll go into the King Air. If you have previous jet time, you will probably go into the CJ or Beechjet. There has been a few (I think four) new-hires into the Hawker or III lately, but there's been an uprising at the company and our D.O. probably won't let it happen again. In theory, they try to keep everything on a seniority based system. Even if you are a retired whale captain, you'll still be hired into the right seat of our smallest cabin fleet.

3. I think the X program is going well, as they are still around. Not much is said about the program so I don't know many details. It was announced several weeks ago we will have a few more coming on property within a month or two, so they must be selling shares. Don't know too much about it though. We would all love to get our dirty hands on one.

Hopefully this answered a few questions. If any of you other OPT guys have any corrections/additions, please chime in. G' luck.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back