So.. What would you do??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

av8ter79

So I am currently flying a C310 on a scheduled freight run. I have been full time for about 2 months (2050 / 350) and would like to start applying for the regionals; however, this is the kicker(company wants a year out of me but nothing was signed or anything). The company has already said if I apply and go on an interview they will replace me as soon as they find the right person. Should I take the risk? Or should I just stay here for a year and see what happens? Should I go and get the 121 job will it hurt me when it comes time for the personal references?

Thanks!

av8ter79 said:
So I am currently flying a C310 on a scheduled freight run. I have been full time for about 2 months (2050 / 350) and would like to start applying for the regionals; however, this is the kicker(company wants a year out of me but nothing was signed or anything). The company has already said if I apply and go on an interview they will replace me as soon as they find the right person. Should I take the risk? Or should I just stay here for a year and see what happens? Should I go and get the 121 job will it hurt me when it comes time for the personal references?

Thanks!
If you want to fly a 310 for your career...fly the 310....if you want to fly for a scheduled 121 airline flying turbine equipment.....leave when the opportunity happens for you. The threat of a "bad" reference is just a little intimidation that is an industry standard practice at time building places.

As long as you don't tell your current employer you are going on an interview, they have no way of finding out. Comair never called my previous employer until I already accepted the job and I was in training. It would take too much time for the regionals to make phone calls on people that they have not even hired. Go for the regional job if that is your goal. Don't give your employer more than a weeks notice if they are going to have those ridiculous policies. Also make sure you have your last paycheck in hand before you give your notice, then they can't deduct for training costs etc. that they think and can say you owe them.

And even if you are under a trainging contract, not a single one has ever stood up in court. They are just trying to keep there costs down. As long as your a good employee, there is nothing they can really do. I know a few people in the HR side of the biz and really all they ask is 2 or 3 questions. Drug screening results. 121/135 training records. Would you hire this person again, if they say no, ask why and if they say you promised a year and you didn't give it? Noone cares...

Good Luck, and mums the word till they hire you.

Regards DD

take the job that gets you closer to your career goal.

is that flying a freight run a 310 or working towards a good airline career?? (err..well...you know what I mean)..

just about every single one of us has had that "intimidation" thing thrown at us at one time or another.

Just get the new job and give your 3 days notice with a big $hit eating grin on your face..

Gulfstream 200 said:
Just get the new job and give your 3 days notice with a big $hit eating grin on your face..

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Gulfstream 200 about the short notice. I've known of too many guys asked to leave immediately when giving their two weeks or more notice. That's what you can get for trying to behave professionally. Also, from recent experience at ACA, you can also be offered a job....show up...and then be told class has been cancelled. Professionalism and courtesy has to work both ways to be effective.

there is no such thing as professional courtesy or compnay loyalty in this business.

Look out for number 1.
Do what is right for you.
Say "Thank You" and leave.

Just rememeber, when you think about that training contract or that reference later....how much notice you think YOU will get when joe blow 135 operator loses his 310 run?? .....think you will get a professional 2 weeks? a severance? a good recommendation? $hit....you will be lucky if you get your last paycheck.

kick butt ad keep moving until you get to your career goals! it aint personal, its business.

hey Avater79

you can put me down as a reference.

how have you been??

-n

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back