• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

so what happened in CLT the other day?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just want to know where this new thing of starting sentences with "so" began. It's everywhere and it's stupid.

What would happen if a United flight started a radio transmission with "so."

I just want to know where this new thing of starting sentences with "so" began. It's everywhere and it's stupid.
yep, and I bet most of them have college degrees, so what wahts your problem with this?

I agree with you...the very first place I noticed it was during Janet Yellen's confirmation hearings on Capitol Hill. Almost everyone of her answers started with "So...".

Mach should just start a "You know what really grinds my gears!?" thread. It would be a welcome diversion from the usual drivel on FI.

The word "so" is a conjunction or adverb, you don't begin sentences with it. This is another goofy language fad.

Don't you love news people who tell a news story and improperly use "literally" all the time?
"He literally ran from the fire at 100mph."

Now, why do some guys feel the need to waste words and add to radio congestion by adding "...checking in with you...". When the controller hears you say "Skyblue 245 at flight level 370" he kinda automatically knows that you are checking in and that you are "with him". Just sloppy and unnecessary but I guess some guys like hearing their own voice.

The word "so" is a conjunction or adverb, you don't begin sentences with it. This is another goofy language fad.

Don't you love news people who tell a news story and improperly use "literally" all the time?
"He literally ran from the fire at 100mph."

Now, why do some guys feel the need to waste words and add to radio congestion by adding "...checking in with you...". When the controller hears you say "Skyblue 245 at flight level 370" he kinda automatically knows that you are checking in and that you are "with him". Just sloppy and unnecessary but I guess some guys like hearing their own voice.

How about the guys that checks in with...."aannd, ABQ center, this is sky d o u c h e 1234"....

2 cents

(...) but I guess some guys like hearing their own voice.

Pilots and egos. Do I need to say more? You do have a valid point, radio discipline is much more procedural in foreign (including English-speaking) airspace.

I remember someone referring to this as the "Southwest" effect not too long ago.

Latest resources

Back