Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
kelbill said:
More banter,

I treat those two as our major competition. That being said, you can't have it both ways. As these guys mature, as we already have (4500+ pilots, 420+ planes) they will be the ones running up on increased vacation (reduced productivity), increased payroll (no 12 year captain pay at JBLU yet, but its coming), and increased MX costs. And of course, the dreaded U word will rear up at JBLU no doubt. U as in union. Our pay rates are now at or near top, whereas they have a way to go, and it would be blind to assume they won't be growing salaries at a quicker rate than us to catchup. I see them getting less competitive cost wise in the future. And JBLU debt rating is junk class I believe, so we are being a little dishonest in our comparisons. I'm not slamming JBLU or AAI, I'm just responding to the comparison.

JetBlue's costs are going up but only slightly right now. But I think they will continue to do so with fleet acquisition, new aircraft type and fleet aging. I don't think much cost increase will occur from employee aging. Wallstreet is not happy with the unsecured debt and aggressive growth common to shooting stars in this industry. If the rate of debt accumulation slows the rating may improve.

I don't think a union will have a chance until the number of EMB-190 pilots exceeds the number of A-320 FOs. And I don't think it will actually happen until sometime after the next downturn starts. The music will stop and options for EMB-190s FOs will be reduced.

Before the union thing gets started JetBlue will become a training airline. This will increase costs and irritate Neeleman. Folks will suffer low wages to upgrade to EMB-190 Captain, get some PIC time and bolt for greener pastures. Neeleman may cause the union himself if he shows a mean side dealing with this reality and an increasingly less blue Koolaid drinking Wallstreet.

Last edited:
Good luck,

I think one of your biggest challenges at SWA will be keeping your good customer service rankings with an aging flight attendant group. Your happy, joke-telling, fun-loving, 21-25 year old cabin crews will generally have a different outlook when they are 35-40 year old, venom spitting single mothers who demand that they are worth 65K a year.

Half the time I fly, I feel like one of those old Appalachian guys in a hillbilly church, doing a jig while holding a 6' Diamondback.;)

C-150ETOPS said:
Good luck,

I think one of your biggest challenges at SWA will be keeping your good customer service rankings with an aging flight attendant group. Your happy, joke-telling, fun-loving, 21-25 year old cabin crews will generally have a different outlook when they are 35-40 year old, venom spitting single mothers who demand that they are worth 65K a year.

Half the time I fly, I feel like one of those old Appalachian guys in a hillbilly church, doing a jig while holding a 6' Diamondback.;)

You couldn't be more off the mark.

Actually it's the 21-25 year old F/A's who don't have any work ethic. Some are easy on the eyes but most of the time their last job was highschool. I'll take a Dallas "North 40" crew anytime over the "Like, where's the mall?" age group.

XR650R said:
Actually it's the 21-25 year old F/A's who don't have any work ethic. Some are easy on the eyes but most of the time their last job was highschool. I'll take a Dallas "North 40" crew anytime over the "Like, where's the mall?" age group.

How about a Houston "Mid 30s" crew?

Kidding aside, you're right on this one. It's the senior mama's that are worth their weight in gold to the company. No pun intended.

C-150ETOPS said:
Good luck,

I think one of your biggest challenges at SWA will be keeping your good customer service rankings with an aging flight attendant group.
Over the past couple of years SWA has taken a beating over that blasted "reality" show AIRLINE. The complaints are twofold...the Customers are unsavory and the employees are rude. Which employees are normally featured in AIRLINE?...it ain't the Flight Attendants.
The Flight Attendant group is not the only point of Customer contact. Further, Southwest has been around nearly 35 years, surely the 'bitter old' Flight Attendant chickens would have come home to roost by now.

Your happy, joke-telling, fun-loving, 21-25 year old cabin crews will generally have a different outlook when they are 35-40 year old, venom spitting single mothers who demand that they are worth 65K a year.
The senior F/As are 'A' scale, flying charters(which pay double time) and have fat profitsharing accounts. They have nothing to be bitter about. Who do you think are the ones teaching the newbies how to sing and tell jokes? We only wish we could do it as well as they do. The senior DAL and HOU gals can run rings around the rest of us without so much as breaking a nail. Top of the current F/A payscale is over $50/trip..throw in per diem and pick up one overtime trip per month and you're well over 70k. The truly industrious can and do crack 6 figures.

Last edited:
Any thing can happen but after TWA,NWA and 2 layoff's and pay cuts I would not want to be any were but SWA during the bad times. SWA people from the GO to the ramp will pull it all together and be ok.

Amen to that!! GO WINGS!!

C-150ETOPS,

I was going to let you perpetuate that myth. Its our secret weapon and I would hate for everyone else to catch on. But now the cat is out of the bag. Why don't you non-rev a couple of times on SWA and tell us what you think then.

BTW, I think that airline show is great. The press has been saying how manners have gone by the wayside in America. Some basic instruction is needed and the show lets you know what will get you booted off a flight. Maybe the pax with issues will learn what not to do or say before they show up. I think the ticket and gate agents almost always look good on the show. You just gotta realize there is A LOT of editing going on. Gate agents can't have endless patience with other passengers waiting.

Last edited:
FlyBoeingJets said:
Before the union thing gets started JetBlue will become a training airline. This will increase costs and irritate Neeleman. Folks will suffer low wages to upgrade to EMB-190 Captain, get some PIC time and bolt for greener pastures. Neeleman may cause the union himself if he shows a mean side dealing with this reality and an increasingly less blue Koolaid drinking Wallstreet.

Intresting. I'm shocked the blue folks haven't emerged yet to spit venom at you.

Latest resources

Back