Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So if I wanted to fly out of ORD . . . ???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
While it would be nice to just drive to ORD, it is such an easy place to commute from you can pretty much be based anywhere and commute. CLE and MSP are about an hour flight, EWR, LGA, PHL about two hours. DAL and DEN about two and a half. I would go where you can get a line sooner, not a place where I may have to sit reserve for a year+ to shave a few hours off my commute.

NOT and easy commute out of ORD.

I disagree, go where you can be based at home and not have to commute. Sitting on reserve while living in base isn't that bad compared to rushing to make an oversold flight with multiple jumpseaters listed.

I've never been based at home, but in 13 years of commuting I'd agree with the above. I'd GLADLY sit reserve at home vs. having a min day off line to commute to. Most months on reserve I rarely broke grnty, many months never flew more than 40-45 hours.

And it doesn't apply to ALL companies, but XJT's reserve rules are pretty good when it comes to QOL/schedule enhancement on reserve with things like bad day-worse day trading, long call reserve lines, floating reserve lines, etc.

Last edited:
I disagree, go where you can be based at home and not have to commute. Sitting on reserve while living in base isn't that bad compared to rushing to make an oversold flight with multiple jumpseaters listed.

You have to be able to afford not working. Regional pay for a junior FO on reserve is what $1700 a month? That is not a whole lot of money.

You have to be able to afford not working. Regional pay for a junior FO on reserve is what $1700 a month? That is not a whole lot of money.

True, and if you have to pay for commuting expenses like parking and a Crashpad/hotels, you're better off on reserve at home vs. commuting to a crappy/junior line. Especially if it's a min day off/low credit line.

If you learn how to use the contract and manipulate reserve rules the QOL and pay can be BETTER living in base on reserve.

If one was to pursue a regional pilot position, and wanted to get based out of ORD as quickly as possible, which one company would that be? I understand AE, ExJ, SkyWest, and GoJets all have a significant presence at ORD.

This is a serious question from an ex-mil pilot who has been out-of-flying for a while, and lives in NW suburban Chicago. Thanks in advance.

Just dont go to GOjets. It will kill your chances of getting on with a Major Airline

Recruiters know about them

Latest resources

Back