• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So I got the job now what?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It was just a matter of time before this turned into a "You can't log SIC in a CJ" thread.

Stop and ask yourself. Do you think every qualified co-pilot in a CJ1 / CJ2 is doing it without the benefit of being able to log it? Sure theres some out there, but a lot of business and corporations have CJ's as part of their flight departments. Do you think a co-pilot is going to work for a company for 2 or 3 years without being able to log any of the time?

Just follow the SIC requirements outlined in Part 61, and/or make sure the company has it written in their ops manual that a second pilot is required by your operations. There should be no questions or problems about it then. Our company just had another pilot with a load of CJ2 SIC time go onto a larger corporate job. It must've counted for something, cause his total time wouldn't have been much without it.

FracCapt said:
Just curious....what's the Captain doing all this time while the FO does all the work? That's not how I run my ship. Two pilots are required...share the load. Doing the flight planning, filing, checking weather, paying the bill, etc....takes 15 minutes(unless International, then it depends on where you're going). I fly with many FO's that are suprised when I actually do the preflight, get the cabin ready, do the numbers/clearance, or anything other than sit in the FBO really. That's pretty sad...it shows what most of the other Captains are doing.

Wow. If the preflight, cabin prep and clearance is all that needs to be done to prepare your aircraft for a trip, you must be something special.

If you have two qualified pilots flying the airplane the guy in the right seat actually does alot more work. Radios, Atis, when to pull charts, fiddling with the radar, checklists, FMS management, backing up the FMS with raw data. It's a juggling match and you have to anticipate when to do all of these things and more. You won't be able to at first, but eventually you will be expected to manage this stuff without being babysitted. The left seater is usually busy with the actual control of the airplane and if concentrating intently can be a bit more out of the loop. Where i work we seat swap and all are typed. When I'm in the right seat sometimes I work my A$$ off. This is especially true on short legs on the east coast. TEB to somewhere within 100 miles for example. You'll get re-routes galore and you in the right seat get to manage them. Congrats and good luck

Ok guys thanks for all the help. And thank you Dinger for offering the matierials, really cool of you. I will PM you to find out what you've got. I have all the FSI stuff for initial type rating from one of the pilots. So I'm guessing that should cover it.

I'll update you guys after the first trip. Tommorow! I'm hoping we can keep this thread going to keep other poor starving CFI from giving up hope. It may help others if they get lucky too.

BushwickBill said:
I'm hoping we can keep this thread going to keep other poor starving CFI from giving up hope.
Does this mean they're paying you enough not to be a poor, starving CJ F/O?;)

Have fun on your trip!

HMR said:
Does this mean they're paying you enough not to be a poor, starving CJ F/O?;)
Ahh come on, I make good money as an F/O on a CJ/2!

Have fun on your trip as well, and let us know how it goes! You'll defintely remember this first trip in a jet the rest of your flying career!

English said:
Wow. If the preflight, cabin prep and clearance is all that needs to be done to prepare your aircraft for a trip, you must be something special.

Either you didn't read my post, or your reading comprehension is very poor. Why don't you enlighten me on everything that you have to do....since I'm so new to this whole jet PIC thing...:rolleyes:

Are you a fractional pilot? If so, your responsibilities are DIFFERENT (and probably a lot fewer) than those of a corporate or charter pilot.

But thanks for the insults anyway. I'm sorry you are having a bad day.

English said:
Are you a fractional pilot? If so, your responsibilities are DIFFERENT (and probably a lot fewer) than those of a corporate or charter pilot.

Ahh....I guess I have it pretty good then. Please, enlighten me. I'm not TRYING to be a d!ck....I just naturally come across that way. I don't mince words, though..

But thanks for the insults anyway. I'm sorry you are having a bad day.

Actually, I'm not. Well, I do have a cold that's kicking my ass....but other than that, things are great. I'm only bitter and pissed off every other week...which, suprisingly, happen to coincide with my work weeks. :D

FracCapt said:
Why don't you enlighten me on everything that you have to do....since I'm so new to this whole jet PIC thing...:rolleyes:
English's plan called for everything to be done in 40 minutes. Sounds about right. In our dept., the PNF does all the stuff English mentioned. Meanwhile the PF or "trip Captain" is paying the bill, double-checking catering, double-checking transportation, etc. The trip Captain also does all the flight planning and arranges all lodging, transportation, fuel pricing, etc. long before we arrive at the airport. In our case, the "FO" has it easy.

If you guys have a more efficient way at the Fracs... please share.;)

Latest resources

Back