Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So has life already passed me by or what?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UA-RESURRECTED

Does this mean I failed?
4 years out of high school, and nothing to show for it. Yep, that’s me. Spent all the time working full-time and just basically blowing money on things that did nothing for me. It’s hard to say exactly when I had this realization….though it’s unfortunate it has taken this long.

So what are my chances here? If I manage to finish my PPL by the time I’m 23, and at the same time get back in school, any chance of flying for perhaps a regional airline or something by the time I’m 30? Would I even be hired at that age as a FO?

Thanks a lot

Take a look at the gouge boards. I've noticed a lot of people getting hired at regionals that are much older than 30. I've seen guys in their 40 s and 50's getting hired at the freight companies. Most of the people I work with didn't get their start until they were in their 30' and 40's. I m in my early 20's and Im the youngest guy at my company. But I also spent tooooooo much money at one time. I'll be paying debt while you're free and clear. Don't sweat it. Sometimes its hopeless and then one day you'll look at yourself and see everything coming together. Chin up.

Let me get this straight, you are 23 and you haven't done anything? dude, you are so screwed!

Just kidding.........

UA-RESURRECTED said:
4 years out of high school, and nothing to show for it. Yep, that’s me. Spent all the time working full-time and just basically blowing money on things that did nothing for me. It’s hard to say exactly when I had this realization….though it’s unfortunate it has taken this long.

So what are my chances here? If I manage to finish my PPL by the time I’m 23, and at the same time get back in school, any chance of flying for perhaps a regional airline or something by the time I’m 30? Would I even be hired at that age as a FO?

Thanks a lot

Man, you better sign up at www.gulfstreamacademy.com and get your career in gear!

Look at the military to get a start, I understand the Army is looking for helo drivers. If you get that you will have a lot of options at age 30, of course you also may spend a lot of time away from home.

Not sure about now, but at one point the average age of guys getting on at the majors I think was 35-40 or somewhere around there.

If you're ready to get your sh!t together and get going, then go to college, get a degree non-aviation related. Learn to fly and get your ratings on the side. That way you will have something else to fall back on should the industry take another dump or still be in one when you're ready. Who knows, somewhere along the way you may realize you want to be the guy in the back making the big bucks or owning the plane taking the family somewhere, instead of the guy in the front who has to leave his family at home while you take the boss and his family to the beach.

The most important criteria for getting on at a regional is the ability to live for a few months without any pay and a pulse. They WILL check your pulse at the interview and if you are dead or almost dead then you will not be hired.

Sounds like you are good to go. Soon you could be making upwards of 18K a year. You could be Mr. Discount Airline Pilot guy!

http://www.l1011.homestead.com/DiscountPilot.html

Move to Wichita and work for Cessna or Raytheon in manufacturing or whatever else you are qualified to do. They will pay for your education at one of the universities (most of it) and you still make liveable wages while attending a four year school. You can also fly at either company for drastically reduced rates at their clubs. For the life of me I don't see why more people don't do this instead of going to pilot mills. You get a degree at something other than aviation, get your ratings, all while making contacts at the large corporate manufacturing plants. Win Win if you ask me.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back