Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So does CAL take orders from the FAA on when to cancel flights?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

gkrangers

college = debt
Or is that just the CSR company line?

I love the "air traffic control" delays....

An ATC delay would be the controllers getting locked out of the tower....

?.....

I had to change a flight today because of the storm. The CSR wouldn't give me a refund (just a credit, which is no big deal, I'll use it..) because the "FAA ordered CAL to cancel the flights"...

I just thought that sounded a bit out there.

gkrangers said:
So does CAL take orders from the FAA when to cancel flights ?

In one word: YES

Feds usually tell CAL what the new arrival rate for EWR will be between such and such hours due to weather, VIP movement, etc. New hourly arrival rate is far below what CAL has already scheduled. CAL must then meet the new hourly arrival rate number by cancelling flights of their choosing. If you are on one of the flights they choose to cancel, well you're just plain out of luck. Lovely system we have these days. And this happens pretty much on a daily basis now at EWR.

So when the CSR tells you that "the FAA made CAL cancel the flight", they are being honest.

My only advice I can give you is to avoid all of the NYC area airports at all costs these days.

Last edited:
In one word: YES

Feds usually tell CAL what the new arrival rate for EWR will be between such and such hours due to weather, VIP movement, etc. New hourly arrival rate is far below what CAL has already scheduled. CAL must then meet the new hourly arrival rate number by cancelling flights of their choosing. If you are on one of the flights they choose to cancel, well you're just plain out of luck. Lovely system we have these days. And this happens pretty much on a daily basis now at EWR.

So when the CSR tells you that "the FAA made CAL cancel the flight", they are being honest.

My only advice I can give you is to avoid all of the NYC area airports at all costs these days.
Does CAL *have* to cancel the flights, or just risk them sitting on the ramp when there isn't a slot for them to depart, in which case they may as well cancel them?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back