So are the best days behind us?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

phishn@daves

When I met my wife I was still an instructor. I had always thought I would eventually be an airline pilot, and that dream came true 6 months later, when I was hired by a regional. I had always planned on making a move to the majors after working at this regional, and hopefully making decent money as well, and I had told my wife what senior capts. get paid, and that made things feel really good for a while!

Things are still really good and my wife is not really concerned about the money so much as she is concerned with me eventually being able to upgrade to make a "livable" income. I keep telling her however, that those days are over, and I will never make 250k flying for an airline, and I may never even get there! If the age 60 rule passes I can almost bet that I and many others will never get there!

Besides the current situation, I know this industry is cyclical, but this is way different than any other time, is there any hope?

What do you guys think?

Keep an eye on Comair. They are the industry leader. What they are doing today is far ahead of the others. If they cannot expand in the current economy they will lead the crowd with new fresh ideas.

ACE

years ending in 3

pilots were saying the same thing in 73, 83, 93 and now 03, wait until 08 things will be entirely different and you will be a the front of the hiring pack becasue of your experience, been there seen it.

It does seem like the last few years of the past decades have been the best time for pilot jobs! (eighties, ninties,)

Coincidence?

Re: years ending in 3

pilotyip said:
pilots were saying the same thing in 73, 83, 93 and now 03, wait until 08 things will be entirely different and you will be a the front of the hiring pack becasue of your experience, been there seen it.

Lets not forget in the past years ending in 3, the world was quite different than it is now... Today we have terrorism, RJ's and LCC's... These three things have greatly affected the Majors... Remember, even back in 93 most "Commuters" were flying turbo-props and the only Low-Cost Carrier that was of any substance was SWA and terrorism was something that happened somewhere else...

I say, smoke 'em if you got 'em, and I'm going to the store to get some steaks, some beer and a DJ.... and we'll be meeting over Falcon Capt's house for a real american grilling experience:D

I say, smoke 'em if you got 'em, and I'm going to the store to get some steaks, some beer and a DJ.... and we'll be meeting over Falcon Capt's house for a real american grilling experience

Yeeeeeaaahhh! Party at Falcon Capt's! I'll bring the women!

Latest resources

Back