• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SNA Takeoff

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Has anyone ever experienced the takeoff? I will be flying out on an American 738 and was wondering if they still do the steep climb and cutback procedure, as I imagine it would be pretty cool to experience.

tizzizzailslf04 said:
Has anyone ever experienced the takeoff? I will be flying out on an American 738 and was wondering if they still do the steep climb and cutback procedure, as I imagine it would be pretty cool to experience.
They keep it pretty low and slow now.

SNA Departure

SNA still has the noise pollution Nazi's monitoring every takeoff. Transponder code IN and OUT, 65% power-up then release the brakes, rocket down the runway, steep climb to low altitude, power back to 65%, leave the area then power up and climb out on normal profile. What a pain.....

The great part is when they bring a C-172 through that flight path and make the big bird vector out of the little birds way.... California, what can I say....

Been a couple years since I rode commercial out of SNA. That dang throttle-back forced me to check my drawers! Nothing cool about being in the back of the cabin reclined at 8 degrees nose up and feel the loss of acceleration. I kept thinking, "what if we would lose an engine right now?" Not a pleasant thought at 800ft with nothing but houses and the Pacific Ocean in front of you.

I still get pi$$ed everytime I see the old El Toro MCAS sitting empty just 8 miles away, knowing its about to be torn up and sub divided. THAT should have been the replacement for SNA years ago!

Last edited:
SNA is the only airport authorized for the special 738 "27K" power setting. Normal MAX power is 26K. The 27K is significantly more thrust.

You may be disappointed, though, in the feeling of the profile in the 738. The old MD-80 and 757 procedures were much more obvious. The 738 is quieter to begin with, and the FMC works so well, the profile is pre-programmed and not as noticeable. No manual throttle manipulation at all.

I just flew home from SNA on Monday, and was in the cabin of a 757 doing that dp. The captain came on and explained that it might be a little different than most passengers are used to. It was just pretty cool hearing those big engines on the 75 spool up to depart off of a 5700' runway! The departure was pretty cool.

Latest resources

Back