• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SMS Implementation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Even India is on the bandwagon for this, we have to have a SMS program in place by Nov 21 here in India, at the moment there is no talk of foreign operators coming to India needing it just the local companies .... but they might catch on and make foreigners need it to come to India the great (you know this place is the epiphany of safety cultures, just watch Ice Road Truckers Extreme !)

As far as I can tell it's really not all that costly if you do it in house. If you buy the IBAC IS-BAO generic GOM and adapt yours to it then all that is $950...

This is something that NBAA should be rolling out FOR it's members. And I'll make that know to my rep this week!

This is something that NBAA should be rolling out FOR it's members. And I'll make that know to my rep this week!
Being an NBAA member gets you a pretty big discount.

So if an SMS follows the ICAO outline, is having the IS-BAO SMS kit or audit really necessary? I know they seem to be the most recognized, but they're not the only way to skin this cat, right? Has there even been any FORMAL requirement for SMS in Europe? I'm hearing "yes", "no", "maybe", "I don't know", and "what's SMS?". There's a guy that says he meets ICAO and does it for the same cost as getting the IS-BAO kit through NBAA and doing it yourself. No insurance sell or anything like that.

What is the final bill start to finish going the isbao route as a nbaa member? $ and time? thanks

Call some auditors and inquire. Rates vary quite a bit.

Its not a hard process, just a bit mind-numbing if you are writing it yourself...a few months at an easy pace should be enough.

There are also places that will write the entire thing for you if you don't want to do the work (or don't have time) but essentially its an organization process, you likely do everything now but just need to document it. I talked to a few people about having them do it all and it seemed to be as much work as simply doing it myself...and it was not difficult.

The ISBAO standard is $1200 if you are an NBAA member. You need your own copy to register with ICAO.

Last edited:
Thanks Gulfstream. It seems similar to doing taxes yourself. You need to do most of the leg work anyway so why have someone else do it. What were some of the quotes you got for someone to do it? ballpark?

Thanks Gulfstream. It seems similar to doing taxes yourself. You need to do most of the leg work anyway so why have someone else do it. What were some of the quotes you got for someone to do it? ballpark?

5-20K...all over the place. Higher numbers were for everything done for you. There are some clowns selling monthly "maint" fees etc..but you will sort through those and find what you really need (not that lol)

We went with a local well-known guy who was very pleasant to work with.

PM if you would like his info, I have no affiliation at all, but would happily rec'd him. He can then get you a quote.

Pretty much all of these questions can be answered on the IBAC website. They have the latest information on most of the member countries and their requirements. Sorry if someone else already posted this.

Latest resources

Back