• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SMS Implementation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Used the generic as a reference ,but created a SMS system using information the company had in place. Very time consuming. Audited by three firms, IS-BAO, ARG/US, & WYVERN. Passed all three. It is expensive. You can get an ICAO version on line for free, but very confusing. What else is new from Europe.
I think Wyvern and ARGUS are either going to go by the wayside or have to adapt their program for IS-BAO. Personally, I think they are a huge ripoff. They are incredibly expensive for what they give you.

The information that we received at NBAA was that come November 18 if you want to operate in Bermuda or The Cayman Islands you must have a SMS in place. Their government representative stated that after November 18 if you came and where not compliant they would allow you to stay but when you leave don't come back unless you are in compliance.

Is an audit required? I'm not seeing it but I'm late to the party here.
Yes. You cannot receive an IS-BAO approved SMS certification without an audit from an independent auditor.

That is absolutely not true. The IS-BAO program it the one that has been accepted by ICAO as the defacto framework for a SMS. The SMS must conform to the IS-BAO standards in order to be approved for operations within Europe.

This seems to come up about every two weeks on Flightinfo... I'll ask again, since this whole thing is clear as mud. Could you please show me the exact ICAO regulation which states that a part 91 operator in Europe must have an IS-BAO approved SMS program? I don't believe such a regulation exists. The best I can tell, there is only a statement that a SMS program must be in effect - not who approved it.

Since the FAA is my regulatory agency, and they have no framework or basis for approval of an SMS program, there is no such thing as an "approved" SMS program for an N-registered part 91 operator.

The fact is, since the guidance from the EU is murky at best, we will have to wait and see if crews have problems during SAFA checks after the drop dead date.

This seems to come up about every two weeks on Flightinfo... I'll ask again, since this whole thing is clear as mud. Could you please show me the exact ICAO regulation which states that a part 91 operator in Europe must have an IS-BAO approved SMS program? I don't believe such a regulation exists. The best I can tell, there is only a statement that a SMS program must be in effect - not who approved it.

Since the FAA is my regulatory agency, and they have no framework or basis for approval of an SMS program, there is no such thing as an "approved" SMS program for an N-registered part 91 operator.

The fact is, since the guidance from the EU is murky at best, we will have to wait and see if crews have problems during SAFA checks after the drop dead date.

It is an ICAO rule, we per the FAR's are required to comply with the ICAO regulations when operating in international airspace. I have been told the Bermuda will enforce the SMS requirement starting Nov 18 and the Cayman Islands and Turks & Caicos will start enforcement in December.
YMMV

http://www.nbaa.org/admin/sms/faq/

This article says yes:

http://proairman.com/understanding-the-sms-part-4/

Commercial operators are already required to have an SMS; and
By November 2010 private operators will be required to have an SMS.

My understanding, I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, is that ICAO has adopted the IS-BAO format to be used in developing an SMS. Operators are allowed to develop and implement their own SMS and if they do this no audit would be required. If an operator wants to insure they are developing a SMS that is compliant with ICAO requirements they should use the IS-BAO format and pay for the audit.

How will you prove that your SMS is IS-BAO compliant without an audit? You know how the govt works. I doubt they'll take your word for it that your SMS conforms to the standard. You must be able to prove it. The only way to do that is by having an audit from an approved auditor and a certificate of compliance.

Latest resources

Back