• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SMO bans Jets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lets just allow SMO to vote the airport out of existence.

Then the federal government could impose a property tax of 3 times the current rate until the airport bond/promisary note is paid.

Seems like an easy solution?

I can see noise restrictions but how can they ban cat C and D aircraft?

And yes the city wants the area for real estate.

The CL30 has approach speeds of 119 with a ref of 113.

the article said, The ordinance would bar Category C and D jets, which would include aircraft with approach speeds of greater than 136 mph.

the runway is 4800 or so feet there I think. Does not seem too bad. I am in a lr45 and it seems to work pretty good there. I think the callenger 300 has better numbers than the 45 so I am not sure if just saying all cat c or d aircraft are banned is very wise. But then again this is the city councel coming up with this stuff. oh well the hotel was just all right there from what I can remeber. (hilton or doubletree is where we stay)

If the City of Santa Monica wins this, it could spell big problems for what we do. One of the prime advantages of corporate and general aviation is the ability to bypass congested airline airports and deliver passengers much closer to their destinations and with fewer delays. If a municipality is allowed to override the FAA on airport or airspace access, it opens Pandora's Box on future restrictions. Next thing you know, we've got a crazy quilt of city, county, state, AND federal regulations on where we fly and that spells major trouble for the industry.

I HATE noise whiners more than most (and my house is three miles off the end of a runway centerline at a top 10 airline airport) and that's all this is about: noise. The whole "safety" thing is just a stalking horse. The FAA had better bring out the big guns on this one.

Latest resources

Back