• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Smisek's labor comment: between the lines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe it is time ALPA got the sack. They have done less than nothing for the industry for decades, better off without them.

Frankie also says something about "When two tribes go to war", hopefully that will not happen in this case!

Curiosity, could Smisek run an airline where 50 seat scope applies to one half of the airline (in theory) and 70/90 seat to the other? Or, could he just grow the 70/90 seat market with the scope UAL already has in place, thus, effectively bypassing the CAL scope?

Anyone that knows wanna educate me on this? My curiosity is due to the fact that I doubt the CAL guys will relenquish their scope in this process. Could this create a whipsaw situation of sorts? Perhaps there are legal/strategy avenues available to the combined group that I have not thought about.

He'll agree that Continental's part can keep scope. Then he'll just slyly transfer flying to the UAL's RJ outsourcers. Problem solved. CAL ALPA defeated. UAL ALPA cowers in the corner.

Curiosity, could Smisek run an airline where 50 seat scope applies to one half of the airline (in theory) and 70/90 seat to the other? Or, could he just grow the 70/90 seat market with the scope UAL already has in place, thus, effectively bypassing the CAL scope?

Anyone that knows wanna educate me on this? My curiosity is due to the fact that I doubt the CAL guys will relenquish their scope in this process. Could this create a whipsaw situation of sorts? Perhaps there are legal/strategy avenues available to the combined group that I have not thought about.

United does not have 90 seat RJ's operating on property. They do have CRJ700 and E170's but those are 66 and 70 passengers. I just hope the two pilot groups can work together and get rid of those aircraft and stick with CAL scope. I think it is vital to both groups to work together to protect our careers and try to recapture what is left of a fallen career and this can only be done through unity not through fighting one another, it is the company where the front lines are.

He'll agree that Continental's part can keep scope. Then he'll just slyly transfer flying to the UAL's RJ outsourcers. Problem solved. CAL ALPA defeated. UAL ALPA cowers in the corner.

Not exactly Einstein! The two carriers can operate as separate carriers, but that would kill all of the synergies of a merger. In that case, CAL scope would also be in effect on the JV stuff. That would be a deal killer right there. Just think of owning both airlines, but not being able to share the revenue from each other. BOD and stockholders would go nuts! United cannot increase 70 seat flying (BTW, the scope is 70 seat not 90 as someone above thinks!) Both sides have hit 50% domestic RJ flying, so neither can grow the RJ's. If you transfer to one side, you have to take jets out of that RJ system, not cost effective! Combined with the JV scope, the airline would spiral downward, never get an SOC, and go the way of USAir. Not going to happen...

Yogi

Exactly. And that is my point. They will also take advantage of any opportunity to get us fighting amongst ourselves. Which is something pilots tend to be great at. The more unified we are, the less their playbook is effective.
Haven't seen unity yet. Maybe it'll happen this time.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back