Smaller range a/c at NetJets QOL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

larrivee

Will somebody provide some Quality of life insight on the various smaller range aircraft at NJ? i.e. The XL vs Hawker 400XP vs. Ultra vs. Encore vs. Encore plus? Thanks.

The Ultra is a fleet that is being retired. Lots of guys on it are reporting that they aren't flying very much anymore or at least as much as they used to. The Encore is a static flight but it seemed to not to be flying quite as much either when I left it last fall. The Encore+ is ramping with deliveries of one plane per month for the next 3-4 years. And the Encore+ is definitely the best of the 560 fleet, having FADEC and a Collins ProLine 21 setup. (Take that, Jafo73 - inside joke.)

I've not flown the 400XP so I can't comment personally. However from talking with some guys that fly it, they aren't flying nearly as much as some of the other fleets. The plane does lack some for takeoff and landing performance, so that contributes to the "QOL". But hopefully someone actually in that fleet can give you more insight.

The Ultra is a fleet that is being retired. Lots of guys on it are reporting that they aren't flying very much anymore or at least as much as they used to. The Encore is a static flight but it seemed to not to be flying quite as much either when I left it last fall. The Encore+ is ramping with deliveries of one plane per month for the next 3-4 years. And the Encore+ is definitely the best of the 560 fleet, having FADEC and a Collins ProLine 21 setup. (Take that, Jafo73 - inside joke.)

:crying:

And you know you miss setting the power on take-off instead of just 3 clicks up...
:beer:

Will somebody provide some Quality of life insight on the various smaller range aircraft at NJ? i.e. The XL vs Hawker 400XP vs. Ultra vs. Encore vs. Encore plus? Thanks.

I like it. I have a 2 hour a$$. Ultra works just fine for me. Having said that, I'm looking forward to the 560EP

So how do you guys find life without the APU. Is it like the CJ1 where you could get A/C with a GPU hooked up so at least you were not boiling in the summer? How are the winters?

:crying:

And you know you miss setting the power on take-off instead of just 3 clicks up...

I guess I just prefer it to be like some of that cheap kitchen gadgetry that gets pushed in those info-mercials: "Set it and forget it".

Each aircraft at NJA has it's own advantages to the others. Every airplane a new hire can be assigned to will have the same pay rates so bigger isn't better for pay as a new hire. Most of the smaller aircraft do shorter legs and you will be happy to not be stuck in them for long. From what I've been told even the G200 has rather uncomfortable seats and isn't the most fun on a long flight, though I guess you could bring a cushion. The X is a cool airplane, but you pay for being in a cool airplane by being in a cramped cockpit for long stretches of time. The Ultra isn't as cool, but your work days will most likely be easier. The Excel works a lot (as do the X, Sovereign, and G200) but it can't do nearly as long of legs as any of the other 3 so you don't get trapped in the small cockpit as long and you also have an APU that the smaller airplanes that don't fly quite as much don't have. My guess is that only the Falcon (though it is very unlikely for a new hire now that upgrade is taking a long time) would have any better quality of life since they have a flight attendant to help out. I think almost everyone will be happy with whatever fleet they get when they think about what advantages their particular aircraft has over the others.

I'm on the Ultra and we definately don't work as hard as we used to. That airplane always seems to break at least once a tour, so if you are the type that needs to be on the "go" all the time, steer clear. For those that like some "FBO & Hotel Appreciation" time, then come on over!

That being said, I think the best fleet is the one that they offer to you with the first class date. I was hired here about 6 months after my buddy, and he upgraded over a year ago. I figure I have another 3-6 months before my number is up.

Good luck!

Latest resources

Back