small question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

proud_dude

I am applying to an airline, and one of the "online" questions is "Have you ever had an accident or major incident as a flight crew member?" I had a to perform a forced landing at night 16 years ago as a private pilot when my single engine quit (engine problems, never accertained the cause). There was substantial dammage, but no loss of life.
I am well aware that it is important to be honest in an application, however I was thinking of this approach... I'd say "no" in the application (is a private pilot really a flight crew member?) and if asked in an interview I would answer with details about my accident as a private pilot..
Does this sound like a good plan, or am I better to just answer "yes" and give some short details in the "explaination" section of the application?
No certificate action was taken as a result.
Thanks for the advice.

"Does this sound like a good plan?"
No!!
From the FAR's Part 1: Flightcrew member means a pilot, flight engineer, or flight navigator assigned to duty in an aircraft during flight time.

"Pilot in command" is pretty clearly a flight crew member, regardless of operation or aircraft type. I'd definitely answer "yes". It's pretty clear that your incident is exactly what they're looking for. If they even perceive that you are trying to mislead them, you're going to be shown the door. Falsification of an application is almost universally a firing offense.

An accident or incident is not necessarily a deal-buster anyway. As long as you can tell the story in a positive way, emphasize the fact that it was your skill that yielded a positive outcome. This is an opportunity for you to tell a dramatic story that highlights your qualifications. It also shows that you're honest and willing to discuss potentially unpleasant occurences.

Hey,
Just fess up to the carb ice and be done with it, most CRJ's dont have a carb ice issue, now wings is another story!
PBR

I crahsed an airplane in july of 2000 due to engine failure in the mountains of NM. Every time I interviewed for a job, I brang a copy of the accident report to an interview to show the interviewers. This can be a very positive experience to talk about at an interview as long as pilot error is not involved. Tell the truth, they're going to find out anyway!

proud_dude said:
I am applying to an airline, and one of the "online" questions is "Have you ever had an accident or major incident as a flight crew member?" I had a to perform a forced landing at night 16 years ago as a private pilot when my single engine quit (engine problems, never accertained the cause). There was substantial dammage, but no loss of life.
I am well aware that it is important to be honest in an application, however I was thinking of this approach... I'd say "no" in the application (is a private pilot really a flight crew member?) and if asked in an interview I would answer with details about my accident as a private pilot..
Does this sound like a good plan, or am I better to just answer "yes" and give some short details in the "explaination" section of the application?
No certificate action was taken as a result.
Thanks for the advice.

are you really STUPID enough to flat out LIE on the initial application?

sometimes the things I read here are simply amazing.

no wonder those jobs pay 20K/yr -- look at the aspiring applicants.

knob is absolutly right! Great post! I had an engine faliure once too and landed in a field. This is one of those things that I love being asked about in an interview because and I quote "that shows me that I'm talking to someone that can deal with an emergency situation"

Yeah, I wouldn't lie about that. Be honest. If they look at your logbook and anything about it is in there, they'll find it. They asked me at my interview about an incident in a plane I haven't flown in 5 years. In the end, it was no big deal, just explained the situation, how I handled it, and that everything turned out ok. If you can do that, I see no reason why it should be a big deal.

Nick

Latest resources

Back