Sleeping in the cockpit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilotyip

In the late 80's the NTSB did a study of sleep in the cockpit, looking at instances of ?Micro Napping?. This where you have no control over falling asleep and blacking out due to being fatigued. . What they found was at int'l carriers where controlled napping was allowed in cruise, there were no instances of Micro napping from start of descent to the gate. On US Air carriers there was 147 cases of Micro Napping from the start of descent to the gate. Including 4 cases of micro napping where both pilots dropped off at the same time. The danger is not missing the call because of controlled napping, but missing the call because of uncontrolled napping.

BTW the FAA rejected the NTSB recommendation of setting napping policy, because it was un-American to sleep on the job.

How deeply the FAA can bury there heads in the sand is truly impressive. I guess its old fart syndrome, but I respect that organization a bit less with each year that passes. When I started in this career, most inspectors were knowledgeable in their fields as well as the regulations. Now, not so much in either case. Most Chief Pilots and Directors of Operations that I know spend a good part of their time educating their Principal Operations Inspectors on the F.A.Rs.

The Operations Manual that I operate under does not address cockpit napping either except in relation to a heavy crew and assigning rest schedules.

In my experience, most two pilot crews have enough common sense to deal with this subject reasonably in the enroute phase of flight when necessary.

They make these things with whistles and bells. if it is that important, they will sound. I will awake and address the issue. problem solved. Next...

Latest resources

Back