• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest's Plans to Circumvent Impending Pilot Shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is a poor option for a new pilot. A couple years to finish school, instruct another 3-4 to get the hours with a 5 year commitment at the regional to get an interview at ml. Instead you could go corporate(theyre having staffing issues also) after college, make good money and meet the mins for the majors much sooner, and have better qol in the mean time.

Five year commitment at the regional to get an interview at mainline? Wouldn't you be competitive enough to interview at mainline before five years? Reminds me of the flow thru days where people were getting hired at other mainlines before their number was up.

This is a poor option for a new pilot. A couple years to finish school, instruct another 3-4 to get the hours with a 5 year commitment at the regional to get an interview at ml. Instead you could go corporate(theyre having staffing issues also) after college, make good money and meet the mins for the majors much sooner, and have better qol in the mean time.

Corporate staffing problems? Please let me know details. I've been looking for over a year.

SkyWest has tried this twice before in the past 15 years with 2 different colleges and twice SkyWest ended it because of poor results.

Why would you want a guaranteed job at a regional? ThatS like saying well guarantee you'll have a crappy job. Pay here.

Link to the full article can be found here.

But XPOO I thought Skywest only hired the "best of the best" the "cream of the crop" the "most professional aviators". I hope these new pilots can handle the rigorous demands of life at mainline, like learning to live on 19,000 a year.

But XPOO I thought Skywest only hired the "best of the best" the "cream of the crop" the "most professional aviators". I hope these new pilots can handle the rigorous demands of life at mainline, like learning to live on 19,000 a year.

I'm not sure what you are trying to get at, the title of this thread is mostly a joke. As Erlanger said, this has been done before with no success. Sure, the company is thinking ahead, but its not going to solve the issue. I was just passing along the info to those that come on here looking for this kind of information. You want to dog a whole group of pilots, that's your prerogative.

I'm not sure what you are trying to get at, the title of this thread is mostly a joke. As Erlanger said, this has been done before with no success. Sure, the company is thinking ahead, but its not going to solve the issue. I was just passing along the info to those that come on here looking for this kind of information. You want to dog a whole group of pilots, that's your prerogative.

Dearest skywest dispatcher, you in no way inferred that at all.
The fact is, you will be proven wrong on most of the subject matter you post on here. Get ready for some real good times at the new skywest !
Let the games begin.

Why would you want a guaranteed job at a regional? ThatS like saying well guarantee you'll have a crappy job. Pay here.

Given the way some regionals have managed their business models, I think the most important thing to me would be flow-back rights to the airport Starbucks or a job at Home Depot.

You obviously don't have much insight to the corporate world. Only two types of pilots get hired. Those who know someone in the company, or those who are already typed.

Insurance companies want experience in the cockpit. Both guys typed, both with time in type. My company furloughed 495 guys. Only one I know, except for the Gulfstream pilots found jobs flying corporate jets. For whatever reason the Gulfstream club is very exclusive and mere mortals can't handle such a complex piece of machinery. Just ask one.

Yes, please tell us more about these corporate staffing issues.

Latest resources

Back