Skywest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BigLebowski

I was recently hired by Skywest...was wondering if anyone knew anything about upcloming classes. What the reserve time is like, are they expecting to do a lot of hiring this year, health insurance, do they pay for parking if you commute, are the lines commutable, etc.

Any info would help.

I'll start off with the parking issue. The only place the company will buy you a parking permit is at your domicile. Any place else you're on your own.

There are commutable lines, though certain domiciles have more than others. Denver has a large amount, while SBA, SBP, are all locals. Most places have a mix of locals, 2, 3 & 4 day trips. Some of the domilciles also have stand-ups (continous duty overnight) . We have many commuters here with no commuter policy. Even without the policy I haven't heard of anyone getting in trouble for not making a shift (and I've been here nearly 6 years).

I have no idea how long reserve would be, with the exception it will be a lot longer if hired into the jet. As far as hiring goes I doubt we'll see the numbers we did this last year in 2006 unless we get additional aircraft orders. The delivery schedule shows no deliveries past March, however this could change tomorrow. All of the domiciles seem adequately staffed right now. Infact with the cutbacks in SLC we only have 162 hard lines for January with over 250 CP/FO. This is down from nearly 200 hard lines most of the year. After holding a line in SLC for the past year I'm back on reserve and don't expect to block more than 10-15 hours each of the next several months. Even with the 80+ reserves in each position in SLC the company is planning additional upgrade/transition classes for both aircraft early next year.

My guess for anyone starting in the RJ would be either ORD or DEN as a domicile as we recently moved aircraft off the west coast to ORD.

I believe the insurance starts up at 90 days but I'm not really sure.

Last edited:
Insurance

I interviewed and was offered a job back in Oct. We were told that insurance starts after 30 days. We're supposed to get some kind of notice this month about the class schedules for next year.

Beer30?

Your information on the 30 days is probably correct.

I also checked and it looks like attrition is running 15-20 a month so at a minimum we would have newhire classes to replace them.

Insurance

It has been that it will start 90 days after the first of the next month following your start date.

Say you start on the 2nd of December. The 90 days starts on January 1st. Insurance will start April 1st.

Attrition?

15-20 per month? That sounds like quite a bit. Do you know where they're going. Corporate, majors, UPS?

Unrelated question, how many days off do most people get, between what is bid, and junior people picking up extra trips?

Thanks,

Beer30?

scangadah said:
It has been that it will start 90 days after the first of the next month following your start date.

Say you start on the 2nd of December. The 90 days starts on January 1st. Insurance will start April 1st.
REAAAL close, but not quite. It will start the first of the month 90 days after employment. In the example you gave, 90 days after the first of the month following your start date turns out to be the 2nd of April, but the first of the month after 90 days of employment is 1 May. Insurance eligibility would be 1 May.

Consider someone hired on the 15th of March. They would be eligible for insurance coverage 1 July.

Andy Neill said:
REAAAL close, but not quite. It will start the first of the month 90 days after employment. In the example you gave, 90 days after the first of the month following your start date turns out to be the 2nd of April, but the first of the month after 90 days of employment is 1 May. Insurance eligibility would be 1 May.

Consider someone hired on the 15th of March. They would be eligible for insurance coverage 1 July.

Thanks
You explained it better than me.

The carriers I've heard people leaving for are Southwest, Continental, FedEx and Cathay. We've had several retirements and at least one senior guy fired. Additionally, some of the United guys have been recalled. Probably 35-40% of the attrition has been FO's.

Average days off runs around 14 with a max of 18-19 and min usually of 12 unless on reserve. Reserve schedules work a minimum of 20 days a month, with a typical line having 4-5 days on with 2-3 days off. Many people are scheduled for training on days off.

There are plenty of opportunities to swap/pick-up trips as a line holder. As a reserve you can work on your days off with the approval of crew support. Crew supports concern will be your duty and rest requirements.

Latest resources

Back