• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sort of an Andy question... Does SkyWest still have a reservation system and equipment etc... to run an independant airline and do your costs per seat mile allow the 50 seat jet to stand alone and make money on ticket fare alone(no fee for dept.) Just curious what the backk up plan might be if UAL stops contributing..........

Utahpilot wrote:

prognostication and speculation continually lead to much frustration.

Man...you sound just like Jesse Jackson! :D

Skywest does not currently have a reservation system to book our own flights. They do however have the resources to put one into place rather quickly should the need arise. More likely would be the possibility of another major taking over much of UAL's routes. Doubtful that they would try to fill in the route structure currently served by the Express carrriers as it would be logistically next to impossible to do so. Who has the planes, stations, staffing, and infrastructure to keep those routes going without missing a beat? Skywest.

If UAL goes belly up, I believe (IMHO) that there will be a temporary burp of upheaval, how long is anyone's guess. I don't believe that it will be long before the Express flights start running again. There is a market for them and someone will fly them...

According to Steve Hart, their marketing guy, they did not want to restart the LAX hub for DL because it would have to be "at risk" as oppossed to fee for departure. If they don't have the guts to restart a proven hub, I doubt they'll venture out on their own as an independant airline.

Skywest will always be just someone's feeder.

SSDD is right. While I know some of our newer guys (and some senior ones as well) have grand visions of us doing our thing, I just don't think it will happen unless SkyWest is absolutely forced to. Our management repeatedly stated that if United were to go under they would look at feeding for someone else. The accountants in St. George much prefer the arrangement we currently have. Getting set up to do our own thing (reservations system, advertising, etc.) would be very costly and definately burn up a good chunk of the cash everyone keeps bragging about. If we were to do our own thing I would hope that our management would proceed as they have in the past; with caution.

I don't think I've seen this on the site skywestpilot.com since it's inception.

Welcome To The SkyWest Pilot Interview Site!

SkyWest Airlines currently is not accepting pilot applications.

True. But look around you, times are tough, but they're doing better than most. At least you haven't seen any press releases announcing furloughs.

SSDD "True. But look around you, times are tough, but they're doing better than most. At least you haven't seen any press releases announcing furloughs. "

couldn't agree more, just pointing it out. hopefully it will change soon!

Latest resources

Back