SkyWest.....West Yellowstone

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jetstream

I have a question for you SkyWest types.

I flew for SkyWest about seven years ago and had the pleasure of doing the seasonal overnights in West Yellowstone. I'm taking the wife and kids to Yellowstone in July and was wondering if someone could give me the name of the hotel SkyWest uses there (if you still do the overnights). Also, advise me as to whether or not this hotel would be a good "base camp" for the family (big rooms, clean, safe, free breakfast, etc) or should I look for another.

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!

Why July?

Why in the world are you planning a trip to Yellowstone in July? Why not try for the shoulder season? Friends of mine just went in November the week before they closed down the etended roads. They were the only ones in the hotel at $50/night including kitchen, plus the ranger took em out at 0500 to look at a wolf pack. They were in a rented 4wd and had the entire park to themselves the first weekend of snow! Not that cold either, no people, just Bufs and Elk, Coyote, Wolves, Moose, etc.

If it is good weather you are trying to be certain of, forget it: I have been camped in the park on the 4th of July and had 1.5in of snow overnight.

If you want I will try to get the name of their motel, it looked very nice.

jetstream said:
I have a question for you SkyWest types.

I flew for SkyWest about seven years ago and had the pleasure of doing the seasonal overnights in West Yellowstone. I'm taking the wife and kids to Yellowstone in July and was wondering if someone could give me the name of the hotel SkyWest uses there (if you still do the overnights). Also, advise me as to whether or not this hotel would be a good "base camp" for the family (big rooms, clean, safe, free breakfast, etc) or should I look for another.

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know if we stay there anymore but we used to stay at the Beartooth Inn, close by the airport. Nothing really fancy but it was okay and had a small breakfast.

Annie said:
Why in the world are you planning a trip to Yellowstone in July? Why not try for the shoulder season?

I believe that he mentioned that he has a family. Maybe his children go to school during November. Or maybe his wife's vacation, or his for that matter, is in July.

While I agree with you that the "shoulder seasons" are, in many cases, better to visit, some folks who want to take a vacation don't have much choice as to when they can take that vacation.

GP

GuppyPuppy said:
I believe that he mentioned that he has a family. Maybe his children go to school during November. Or maybe his wife's vacation, or his for that matter, is in July.

While I agree with you that the "shoulder seasons" are, in many cases, better to visit, some folks who want to take a vacation don't have much choice as to when they can take that vacation.

GP

Yes, I am sure that is the first consideration, however I would propose to any family that travelling with your kids for a 5 day period during the shoulder season, will most probably be more of a benefit than a loss, especially if the kids are K-8. The stress, the crowds, etc reduce the quality of time together, as well as the on scene experience. NEVER be afraid to take your children out of school for a short time, if you intend to introduce them to a new place, its people, etc. Shoulder seasons allow for the focus to be on the experience and not on the crowds.

Thanks for the info. Now that I see it, I remember that it was the Beartooth Inn.

Why July? My kids are 8 & 12 yrs so I was trying to plan around school schedules and I have a week of vacation in July. However, I also get a week in mid November and would much rather go when it is less crowded (I hate crowds). They are straight A students (must be from their mothers side) so I don't mind pulling them out of school for a trip like this but the National Park Service website states that the roads in Yellowstone close the first Monday in November so that is something I was considering also. Is this wrong?

Also, my guide book says if you want to lose the crowds all you have to do is get out of the car and walk a mile from the road and you will be almost alone.

Last edited:
Hi again:

My friends just stayed in Gardiner in the Absaroka Lodge. The
motel is located on the Yellowstone river and they thought it was really nice. They had a room with 2 Queen Beds and a fully equipped kitchen for only 50 Dollar per night.
They tell me that the other motels they found on the internet were not rated as good. Apparently they found this motel by accident.

The webpage is
http://www.yellowstonemotel.com/.
To the north entrance it takes you only 2 minutes by car (you could walk) and
there is a grocery store near the motel. They loved it very much and tell me they would go there again!!!

They arrived about three days before the extended roads closed down. They left on the Monday they close. So, I would suggest a week or so before that might be very nice!! Especially, if it snows!

Take a look. Ask for shoulder season dates. I always figure the crowds don't die down until the first week in October.
Hope this helps

Latest resources

Back