Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HulkHogan

Hello Everybody,

Just wanted to get your opinions. Which company is better and why? I'm looking into flying for one or the other in about 18 months-you know, once I have my times up. My buddy says to come join him at Xjt and I could get a quick upgrade. Plus, flying into MEXICO. wow - quite a change from the flying I will be doing here up north.

Hulk

At this point I would just focus on building as much time and experience as possible. Once you get 1000/200, start peppering the market with resumes and applications. Then make a decision. But lots of things can change in the next 18 months so this discussion is somewhat moot for you in my opinion. Both are good companies however.

-Neal

Speaking as a SkyWest pilot, I would agree with every word of the above statement.

If you live near or would like to live near IAH, CLE, or EWR XJET is better. If you would prefer SMF, FAT, SBA, PSP, TUS, SLC, DEN, COS, or ORD then SKW is better. Commuting sucks!

If you can't afford to pay your bills, plus food, etc. for two months while in unpaid training at SkyWest, ExpressJet is better. :rolleyes:

Shortly the upgrade time will swing from 4 years to less than 2 years. Since we didn't hire for over 2 years there is a large gap in our seniority list. Now that we have had a steady hiring rate and somewhat steady seniority movement we're going to see the upgrade time drop significantly. How long will that last? There are plenty of theories floating around but eventually it'll depend on how the post-pref. interview pilots get treated by the hiring department at CAL and how many pilots we'll end up with. I've heard numbers from 2900-3400 total pilots at XJT.

BluDevAv8r said:
At this point I would just focus on building as much time and experience as possible. Once you get 1000/200, start peppering the market with resumes and applications. Then make a decision. But lots of things can change in the next 18 months so this discussion is somewhat moot for you in my opinion. Both are good companies however.

-Neal
Being an ExpressJet guy, I fully agree. Both XJT & SKYW are outstanding companies.

Good luck,
TA

Go to ASA, You will be set haha, That way you get a third party yet SKW owns ya. Until ATL can't get anymore fuel to fly airplanes out of there.

Latest resources

Back