• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest to stop training???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't forget that NWA will soon be pulling the strings at Midwest. Eventually, SKYW will get the hook in favor of something/someone else.

During training we frequently have FO/FO pairs where the NFP sits in the left seat. It's really not that complicated or uncommon. Does this idea really shatter your universe? Or are you just stirring the pot?
Stirring the pot. But, it is still inefficient and not the best thing for the FO, or Captains.

The new FO has to learn PM flows from the left seat and learn the Captain's duties well enough to get through the sim session. They also do not get the benefit of learning from an experienced FO who is upgrading and who probably has more currrent experience than the IP.

The new Captain learns a lot training with a new FO as far as they know what to expect when they get on line. With a new hire pilot you might not be able to spit out "setgoaroundthrustspoilersinflapseightgearupspeedmodecleanspeedtellthetowerwearemissedaskforstraightoutgoathousandfeettoleveloffwhiteneedlesautoturnenavmode"
By training with a new hire, or someone new to the aircraft, you learn how best to work with the pilots you will be flying your first 500 hours as Captain with.

Then there are the checkrides. A Captain has to have a fully trained up pilot on the right seat for the type and I imagine an FO has to have a trained seat filler as well.

Last edited:
Don't forget that NWA will soon be pulling the strings at Midwest. Eventually, SKYW will get the hook in favor of something/someone else.
Be careful. If you dare say anything negative about SkyWest they start asking what Ward you're in and after that they start calling you names.

Remember UAL and Delta fly internationally so they can feed SkyWest's operation. MidWest Airlines only reason for existance is to provide upgrade slots for people with 24 months of seniority who would get mad if denied their upgrade.

SkyWest pilots are Chuck Norris. If you dare to tell them otherwise you are doing so at your own risk :)

Last edited:
Chill out everyone !!!SkyWest is short FO's so The NOV/DEC classes are all FO's. Training always has christmas off!! how many airlines can say that. Things will pick up in jan- the rest of the year.

Be careful. If you dare say anything negative about SkyWest they start asking what Ward you're in and after that they start calling you names.

Remember UAL and Delta fly internationally so they can feed SkyWest's operation. MidWest Airlines only reason for existance is to provide upgrade slots for people with 24 months of seniority who would get mad if denied their upgrade.

SkyWest pilots are Chuck Norris. If you dare to tell them otherwise you are doing so at your own risk :)

WOW.....

SkyW is running classes of FOs for the rest of the year because we are very fat on Captains right now, and about 80 FO's short...just look at the domicile lists. Upgrades will continue in Jan.

It amazes me how everyone wants to see a company where people are happy suffer misery.

I guess it's like they say...misery loves company.

Well it's not happening here.

"setgoaroundthrustspoilersinflapseightgearupspeedmodecleanspeedtellthetowerwearemissedaskforstraightoutgoathousandfeettoleveloffwhiteneedlesautoturnenavmode"

That might be the best one line description for sim training I've ever seen.

Be careful. If you dare say anything negative about SkyWest they start asking what Ward you're in...

That was a little below the belt, don't you think? Besides that, it's not even really that accurate. I mean, I know you are frustrated, but let's keep it fair.

-Goose

Latest resources

Back