• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest To Furlough?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Somebody has been dipping in the Kool-Aid and it isn't Reality Check. When people get so comfortable to the point of sounding slightly arrogant, that is when reality gets you.

My original post was based on speculation- that basis was clearly communicated. I'm not spreading rumors, because I haven't heard any. And if you think my speculation is a rumor, that's your fault.

hawkowl88 writes- "16-18 days off use to be the norm! You must be relatively new. And in case you don't understand the game yet--more money + more time off= better quality of life."

Not too long ago, SkyWest had 18+ days off lines. But the BIG difference between now and then is that United and Delta aren't paying the big fees. They've received huge concessions from SkyWest, who is not about to dip into their $600M war chest just to save a few pilot jobs.

Poor pilot utilization + extreme cost constraints = possible furlough

I hope I'm wrong- really, I do! But as Steve Canyon said, being comfortable leads to arrogance.

Also, people think I'm attacking SkyWest, and its management. Not at all! The furlough would clearly be United and Delta's mismanagement, not SkyWest. Did SkyWest control the different equipment types at United? Did SkyWest control the pay scales? Of course not... but SkyWest will be fire hydrant in the dog-eat-dog world.

I realize this is second-hand, but a former collegue who has just finished IOE emailed a current collegue and told him the company has asked pilots if they were willing to take a voluntary leave of absence without pay, which sounds like voluntary furlough to me. I have not seen the e-mail but I would vouch for the source. Anyone else heard this?

what gives?

I have heard so much lately from everyone. It is hard to know what to believe and what to discard.

First, let me say that I was told the SKYWEST was going to begin a new code share using the E120 very soon. I do not want to disclose the airline, as it may not be public info yet.

Second, I was told to expect a class this summer and now, I am reading about furloughs and voluntary leaves.

Can anyone help paint a clearer picture of what is actually going on?

Take care and hope to see you guys some time this year!

Looking forward to joining the SKYWEST team.

Sounds you guys are onto some good solid news, I two heard from a friend who knows someone in the Russian space station that saw a note from a former cosmonaut that knows a ramper in GEG that is dating a Horizon gate agent that Skywest is about to close down. I'll keep my ears open for more news.

I think your furlough rumor is pretty off base. If UAL were to go Chap 7, then yeah, SkyW would probably furlough. I didn't get any letters or e-mails offering voluntary LOA, although I may have missed it. Things are going as well as can be expected here, we're still getting 3 jets a month with BIG rumors of 700's coming for the UAL side. Those of you in the pool, just hang in there you'll be in class before you know it. The company will probably find themselves short crews again this summer and start running classes again to fill the void in the Brasilia.

Are you sure it was an Horizon gate agent? Seems fishy :cool:

BTW

1. The future codeshare is solid news. Not a rumor.
2. The April voluntary unpaid leaves is (was) solid news. Not a rumor.
3. The possibility of furloughs at SkyWest is one person's *speculation*, and

IT TOO IS NOT A RUMOR.

Maybe the ramper was dating an America West gate agent?

The voluntary leave deal was for E-120 FO who wanted to take a day off so that the company could get all the new FOs 100 hours.

Skyw was trying to save money by not displacing crewmember and putting a high-min pilot in the seat.

If the FO volunteered for displacement they were not paid. A few Fos did this.

We have a lot of reserves and with the war schedules they were not getting a lot of flying.

Splert

If the new Skywest codeshare is not public information yet, it certainly isn't a very well kept secret. I live and fly on the east coast, for an east coast company, and our management has told us all about it.

Latest resources

Back