• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest to Begin Flying CRJ900s for US Airways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The 4 900s are not ASA's, they are owned by Skywest Inc's leasing subsidiary. They were subleased to Air Mekong, which went Tango Uniform.

Thanks for the clarification. As I mentioned, that was something I had just heard and was not sure if they were the same planes. Was the story correct otherwise (just the ASA part) or are we talking about totally different aircraft. Were these airplanes already on hand possibly stored down in TUS?

In regards to SkyWest's 700s... that is great that they have more 700s than Mesa has airplanes. I know SkyWest is bigger than Mesa... WAAAY bigger. Thats one of the reasons I'm personally glad that our union was able to stop the sale of Mesa to SkyWest (not saying being big is a bad thing, but some of us view Mesa being small as good in many ways. hate us as you will, but many of us view eachother as a close family). My concern at OO is not the large number of 700s they have, its the massive amount of 200s they have. That should be easily understood. Like I said, for every 200's you can replace for a 7 or 9, I think it puts SkyWest in an enormously good situation. I can't believe it XPOO, even when I say something nice you want to argue. Lets BOTH chill :)

Last edited:
Skywest was an awesome place to work as recent as the mid 2000s, but its been in a downhill slide. Some people just can't see it. It grew too big for its own good.

what is going to happen to all those 200's when they come off lease?

Thanks for the clarification. As I mentioned, that was something I had just heard and was not sure if they were the same planes. Was the story correct otherwise (just the ASA part) or are we talking about totally different aircraft. Were these airplanes already on hand possibly stored down in TUS?

In regards to SkyWest's 700s... that is great that they have more 700s than Mesa has airplanes. I know SkyWest is bigger than Mesa... WAAAY bigger. Thats one of the reasons I'm personally glad that our union was able to stop the sale of Mesa to SkyWest (not saying being big is a bad thing, but some of us view Mesa being small as good in many ways. hate us as you will, but many of us view eachother as a close family). My concern at OO is not the large number of 700s they have, its the massive amount of 200s they have. That should be easily understood. Like I said, for every 200's you can replace for a 7 or 9, I think it puts SkyWest in an enormously good situation. I can't believe it XPOO, even when I say something nice you want to argue. Lets BOTH chill :)

It is only likely to get worse at Sky West.

1. No one wants the CRJ 200's.
2. The contracts will expire before the leases.
3. The cost to carry will be high.
4. The cost of lease return conditions will be even higher.
5. LLP's and engines @ $5 million per aircraft.
6. How many 200's? 200 x $5 million
7. Could cause a ch 11 or cash burn of close to $1 Billion.

Things are changing rapidly,

^ 2.) you have that wrong.. They extended the contracts to the lease end.. That was the big thing Chip did for SkyWest..

And we are "power by hour" with GE... You need to do your research before make a list like that...

It is only likely to get worse at Sky West.

1. No one wants the CRJ 200's.
2. The contracts will expire before the leases.
3. The cost to carry will be high.
4. The cost of lease return conditions will be even higher.
5. LLP's and engines @ $5 million per aircraft.
6. How many 200's? 200 x $5 million
7. Could cause a ch 11 or cash burn of close to $1 Billion.

Things are changing rapidly,

Being such an expert, why the crud are you sitting in an airplane, when you can put all of this so called info you seem to have to good use? Betcha ol Jonathan could use you in working out all the new flying the big boys are going to want you guys to do...

LOL GAME ON... thats funny.

A more accurate (less misleading) title to the thread would be "SkyWest to replace CRJ200s with CRJ900s with USAirways" This is a common trend these days... you should know, as your company is dealing with similar transitions with Delta.

You may not have heard the whole story behind this USAirways thing, however... I had heard this was coming a while back. Airways basically had to force this on SkyWest, as they did not want to replace the 200s in PHX (understandably), but were given an ultimatum due to poor performance (aka Airways can terminate contracts if metrics aren't met). I was told this by someone who was on a conference call for express. Do you know how much (or little) more OO is being paid to fly the 900s in place of the 200s? The details (if they are as they were relayed to me - I can't confirm) MAY surprise you.

Keep in mind that these are not replacing YV flying, they are replacing existing OO flying. YV was the one that got ADDITIONAL flying (rumor has it that more is coming). This is just an equipment replacement... hardly worth celebrating. So far this story is playing out exactly as I was told it would a few months back... if it continues to follow the course that my source said it would (and has so far been correct), you might be surprised at how it may end.

Good call by OO to comply with Airways request... may have just dodged a bullet there!

Rumors, cannot confirm, heard from someone who's brother has a friend who works with a guy who heard, blah blah blah....Sounds like a bunch of chatter from a group of 7th grade cheerleaders....

"Rene" is Mesa upper Mgmt... Take your guess. We all know who It is....it's his way of spreading info... Read the history of his previous post, sends out info that's going to happen before the press releases

What? I cant poke some fun at the competition? I'll use winky faces and sarcasm text for you from here on out.

Cool? ;)

It's just kind of like what's the point poking fun at your competition at the regional level? To me it just seems kind of funny and sad at the same time. Like getting a blow job from a Clown.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back