Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sgu

In search of...
I just finished listening to Mr. Atkin's presentation via the Webcast and was disappointed to hear him brag about paying the pilots the lowest wages in the industry for the 70/90 seat crj! I know the initial agreement was for 18 months or so but I do not think mgmt will let labor cost go up as SKYW looks to purchase another company or tries to form another feed for another airline.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, way to go SkyWest. You can be justly proud of that fact!! Yeah! Way to go!! Whoo hoo!!!!

I believe things are gonna change real soon. Many guys are seein the light. There seems to be a big push now for a union. Guys that were anti union before are begging for a card to send in. Let's hope it happens this time.

I also am seeing a trend twords a union that I haven't seen in past drives other than the one in 99 (I think) Too many promises, too many liberities taken by world HQ. I think SGU has their collective ear to the tracks and can hear the train gaining speed. I imagine that's why they they will vote in/impose via their proxy SAPA a five year contract that would lock us in. Things have really changed in the past year that has really cemented my desire for representation. I'm no pollster, but I haven't seen morale this far in the dumps in my nine years here.

I was just giving two of my Skywest buddies a hard time about the CRJ pay, and made a comment that they need to saddle up to a union. These guys jumped in immediately talking about how bad unions are etc. etc... which is fine, if they can back up there opinion, or give a reason why they have that opinion. They didn't seem to have anything to back up there opinions. Is part of Skywest ground school brainwashing there newhire into anti-union or what? Believe me, it wouldn't be the only group of people that went to Utah, and left brainwashed.:D

I know of at least three fence jumpers just in the last couple of weeks. I operate in a small circle. Those fence jumpers are telling me of others that are going that way as well. There will always be those that are not there yet. I am a recent fence jumper. It takes time. There was a cosiderable amount of trust built over the last several years when things were very good. That trust has eroded significantly. Let's not bash those who are not there yet. I'm just getting excited about the momentum I am seeing.

Okay first off, there is ignorance on both sides of the fence. There are those that won't feel that they are working for a real airline until they have some sort of union pin on their ID. There are also those who feel that all a union does is siphon money off the pilots to feed the beast while nothing, really, ever get's done. And then there are those who have legitimate gripes, concerns, and questions on both sides.

I was once firmly on the side of the anti-union side. And I, actually, can back up my position... still can I might say even though I now consider myself a fence sitter. I have only been at Skywest for just over four years, but over the last year or so I simply cannot believe the drop in morale. And I do think management sees that, which is why they want to renegotiate that pay agreement that everybody gives us such a hard time about. While I once had faith that they would make good, I now shudder when I think what they may have up their sleeve.

I do know of several people who have changed their position in the past few months. I know at least for me, I'm just looking for some leadership really, on either side. Either from our pilot organization, or the in house union organizers. As of yet, I haven't seen anything from either side that tickles my niblets.

A union may not be a bad thing, but you need one with teeth, and people within the organization that can actually do something. Right now I'm not sure if we would have one of those with our current efforts.

Why do you blame ALPA for your problems? Each airline elects their own officals on a local level, which means as a union member you elected your representation. If you are unhappy with what you have, you should look at the strenght of your membership, not the whole of a union.
An ALPA member at Delta has nothing to do with what happens at Eagle on a local level.
If Skywest were to have a union, or make their own, they will be as strong as their membership.
I don't know how many times that has to be said.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back