Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

freeflyer14

Where's that reserve?
To those familiar with skywest I have a couple questions, and yes I have used to search function already :confused: ...

If you are hired and get the Brasilia, how hard/is it possible to switch to the RJ? I only ask because I would like to have a ORD base ideally. How does that work? Odds of getting one vs. the other?

What is the general quality of life like? I have read some mixed reviews which I assume depends on your base/aircraft/seniority/etc. Scheduling apparently sucks??? Long reserve?

Future? Stability? Anything else you feel like sharing?

Thanks

ORD is THE most junior RJ base.

Most newhires are going into the CRJ, most of them are going to ORD.

If you get hired into the Brasilia, seatlock is 12 months from date of hire. Most are able to transition at that date, into domiciles with many newhires beneath them, allowing them to hold a line right away. The most junior domicile for CRJ upgrades is ORD.

Best of luck.

If you get the bro your gonna be seat locked for one year. Not much sitting reserve on the bro side since we're short handed. QOL? well it all depends on where you are and your circumstances. Some people will say good some bad. It pertains to your situation. If you have to commute chances are your gonna hate going to work. If your local then you won't mind at all. Everyones pretty happy here. 95% of the guys are easy going. It's a great company to work for given your choices of others. Specially if your california based.

Thanks for the replies. Is this how most of the regionals with more than one type work? Is skywest really hiring much into the bro much anymore since they are slowly getting rid of some? Thanks

I just talked to a friend two days ago who has been at SkyWest since March '04. He was hired into the Brasilia in SLC and sat reserve for only two months. He has his bid in for RJ transition when the year seatlock is up. He's been watching the RJ bid sheet, and only last month (October) finally would have held an RJ line in SLC. (He lives in SLC, so doesn't want to commute).

It all pays the same the first year. Reserve sucks, even if you live in domicile (just not as bad).

For the RJ newhire class that started about a month ago 2 are going to SLC, 1 to FAT (Fresno), 7 to ORD, and 7 to TUS (Tucson).

propjockey said:
I just talked to a friend two days ago who has been at SkyWest since March '04. He was hired into the Brasilia in SLC and sat reserve for only two months. He has his bid in for RJ transition when the year seatlock is up. He's been watching the RJ bid sheet, and only last month (October) finally would have held an RJ line in SLC. (He lives in SLC, so doesn't want to commute).
That surprises me. I know people in the 7/03 class who have held a line for just a few months now. From what I hear, the SLC lines are pretty much stabilized in the mid 180's.

Bidding the RJ transition right now would get you a at least a few months wait on reserve and maybe longer than that with >1 year at the Co. Since there are captains downgrading from both aircraft to the right seat of the RJ and crusty EMB fo's finally making the move to bid mid-seniority in the RJ. This is in regards to SLC and Cali bases, ORD and DEN are somewhat different with most newhires going to ORD and holding a line within months.

A FEW very junior EMB captains have downgraded because, as an RJ FO, they would make almost as much money AND hold a decent line (vs. be on reserve).

I am a SLC Bro FO holding a decent line. I've been watching my position on the RJ bid sheets for transition (based on seniority number). I haven't seen any backwards movement for in the SLC RJ domicile, but it has been very stagnant, though I would be a line holder.

For the month of DEC, the SLC RJ (including 70 seater) has 193 lines. (2 relief and a bunch reserve lines bring the grand total to 215).

Incidentally, no more Brasilias to IDA starting on Jan 31. All RJ all day from then on. I heard it from an agent and confirmed it on Delta's web page. SLC RJ flying is growing, EMB flying is shrinking gradually.

Latest resources

Back