• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest pays for uniforms!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Supply and Demand my friends...Law of basic econ. You can't get people to show up for class, you either lower your mins or give workers more compensation. I'm glad to say we're not lowering our mins.

amcnd said:
For what it's worth SkyWest is trying to do good. They see that they need to do this as a courtesy. Times have changed and so will SkyWest so now you get Jepps, 2 shirts, 2 pants and a tie.

This is a positve step to better SkyWest and the people we get. And im sure the newhires are not complaining!!

Trying to do good huh? Where are your 90 seat pay rates? Would you rather get free uniforms and Jepps or 90 seat pay rates?

RP170 said:
Trying to do good huh? Where are your 90 seat pay rates? Would you rather get free uniforms and Jepps or 90 seat pay rates?

That's big talk coming from a RAH guy who doesn't have a 70/90 seat FO rate either.

JohnDoe said:
You had to pay for your jepps??!?!!?

Are we talking just the binders, or the charts themselves???
Binders and initial chart subscription. $60-75 or so, IIRC.

RP170.

Um, good logical argument there regarding the company deicision to make the key decision whether to fund a relatively minor cost or move hourly rates up (arguably a much, much larger expense). Given $19 an hour for the first year, where the pay is the same across airplanes, if I were a new guy I'd want the Jepps and uniforms. Since I'm not, I want the differential and you and your betheren who speak about 90-rates until your blue in the face are tiresome. Everybody knows the process at SKYW...a choice between two evils right now actually: 1) stick with current negotiations and maybe get something if management feels like opening up the bank; 2) vote union in and get nothing for a couple years (but at least we'd be unioned right?). Arguments for both sides, admittedly, yours just ain't one of them.

SKYWRJGUY said:
RP170.

: 1) stick with current negotiations and maybe get something if management feels like opening up the bank; 2) vote union in and get nothing for a couple years (but at least we'd be unioned right?).

so true. what's more, we could end up with LESS, and we'd have paid 2% a year for it.

but hey, at least we'd be union. riiiiiiiiiigghhhtttt

relief tube said:
had to pay for Jepps and uniforms in the past?

And everyone that works there is so happy though.

Mgmt must find other ways to really treat you guys well, because I keep running into things that they shouldn't be imposing on you, and the group shouldn't be accepting.

Buddies at RAH get $200 a year for uniform costs, free leather binders and no $$$ for jepps.

Hot flight attendants can only make up for so much at SKYW.

Its not that great at RAH...they bassicly give us a no interest loan on our initial unifrom purchase and take it out of our paychecks....which costs an arm and a leg if its your first 121 gig or you have a different uniform from a different job....it comes out of your check and once its all payed off you get your allowance....all you get as a freebie is brass, wings, stripes and tie....
The Hotties at SKYW probably help alot though

SkyNation said:
so true. what's more, we could end up with LESS, and we'd have paid 2% a year for it.

but hey, at least we'd be union. riiiiiiiiiigghhhtttt

Good chance you'll be next as soon as this union drives ends if it doesn't pass. There is something to be said for a LEGALLY binding contract. I am not a big ALPA fan but it is a necessary evil.

All this looks like to me another breadcrumb tossed to keep you guys form going union. As soon as it gets a little sour for you guys, if there is nothing legally binding, you're going to get hosed.

Turkey Shoot said:
Good chance you'll be next as soon as this union drives ends if it doesn't pass. There is something to be said for a LEGALLY binding contract. I am not a big ALPA fan but it is a necessary evil.

All this looks like to me another breadcrumb tossed to keep you guys form going union. As soon as it gets a little sour for you guys, if there is nothing legally binding, you're going to get hosed.

I find it quite interesting that even without a legally binding contract, we still vote and choose to pass or reject proposals. If management wanted to shove things down our throat, they would. The 50 seat pay for growth agreement was voted on. The recent raise management offered was voted on. Bottom line is, Skywest management seems to be a little less sleazy than most other regional management groups out there. Seems to me that the pilots at places with legally binding agreements get things shoved down their throat, and then argue about it for a couple years before anything ever gets resolved. I'll keep what we have now. People keep on saying things could change at the whim of management, and they can. However, it hasn't happened here more than at any other regional airline.

If we were in a situation like the one in the Grapes of Wrath, then I'd be all over a union...but for now, I'll pass....

Latest resources

Back