SkyWest pays for uniforms!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
indianboy7 said:
I find it quite interesting that even without a legally binding contract, we still vote and choose to pass or reject proposals. If management wanted to shove things down our throat, they would. The 50 seat pay for growth agreement was voted on. The recent raise management offered was voted on. Bottom line is, Skywest management seems to be a little less sleazy than most other regional management groups out there. Seems to me that the pilots at places with legally binding agreements get things shoved down their throat, and then argue about it for a couple years before anything ever gets resolved. I'll keep what we have now. People keep on saying things could change at the whim of management, and they can. However, it hasn't happened here more than at any other regional airline.

If we were in a situation like the one in the Grapes of Wrath, then I'd be all over a union...but for now, I'll pass....
Welllll...
Lessee, "vote" on the 50-99 seat pay package, on the company server, administered by company IT stooges, ended prior to the published end time,and wow United announces new SKYW contract 4 hours after the deadline. The companys position(via sapa) was that they were uncertain about being able to competefor UAL flying at the current rates. You keep saying to yourself "no grapes of wrath" over and over and you will not have to fly the DAL 900s for the same pay rate we have had for way too long. Keep saying "I will get mine when I upgrade", I was here when there was no movement for almost 2 years, and upgrades were not as free and easy. I bet you have less than 2 years with the company, and you are an expert already. Well guess what with an attitude like yours, when the music stops and you are stuck as a mid pack F/O or even more fun a junior Capt, I will just laugh. Ask a few senior guys about what we have lost and continue to bleed away on a daily basis.
'nuff
PBR

PBRstreetgang said:
Welllll...
Lessee, "vote" on the 50-99 seat pay package, on the company server, administered by company IT stooges, ended prior to the published end time,and wow United announces new SKYW contract 4 hours after the deadline. The companys position(via sapa) was that they were uncertain about being able to competefor UAL flying at the current rates. You keep saying to yourself "no grapes of wrath" over and over and you will not have to fly the DAL 900s for the same pay rate we have had for way too long. Keep saying "I will get mine when I upgrade", I was here when there was no movement for almost 2 years, and upgrades were not as free and easy. I bet you have less than 2 years with the company, and you are an expert already. Well guess what with an attitude like yours, when the music stops and you are stuck as a mid pack F/O or even more fun a junior Capt, I will just laugh. Ask a few senior guys about what we have lost and continue to bleed away on a daily basis.
'nuff
PBR

You are absolutely right..I've been here less than 2 years. I also came here to work because skywest has historically been a good company to work for. In fact, this was the only regional airline I applied to. In my opinion, this is still very true. When I hear stories from friends working at mesa, colgan, trans states, chiken taco, and even expressjet, I realize that it's not that bad here.

Be as pessemistic as you want, the fact still remains that management didn't cram these pay changes down the pilot's throats...as everyone is worried about happening. The one change that did get pushed on us without any kind of vote or approval (that I've been here for) was changed back within three days.

I came to this company because I wouldn't mind being stuck as a mid pack F/O for a few years. Things have changed quite a bit in this industry...mostly in a downward direction..ask anybody at any regional, or even united, delta, or northwest. People have been taking it in the butt industry-wide. The bottom line is that we're doing pretty well compared to our comrades at other regional airlines..and it's the reason a lot of pilots have quit their jobs and seniority and come here. I have absolutely no clue what changes have taken place in the last 5 years, but I still contend that they can't be as bad as people have put them out to be.

Like I said before...I think this management team is a little less sleazy then most. It doesn't mean that thier thoughts are always pure and warm and fuzzy. Their farts definitely don't smell like peaches and cream, But they have been able to keep this company fairly stable and treat their employees relatively well. That means job security in a time when job security isn't exactly commonplace.

By the way...I'll never fly a DL 900....cuz I'm flying 30 seats around..and don't plan on movin over.......because we all know....

Chicks Dig Beta

:beer: :pimp:

SkyNation said:
so true. what's more, we could end up with LESS, and we'd have paid 2% a year for it.

but hey, at least we'd be union. riiiiiiiiiigghhhtttt

How would we end up with less? It's a negotiation, right? Why would we agree to something unless, overall it was to our benefit? It would remain status quo my friend.

=indianboy7]I find it quite interesting that even without a legally binding contract, we still vote and choose to pass or reject proposals. If management wanted to shove things down our throat, they would. The 50 seat pay for growth agreement was voted on. The recent raise management offered was voted on. Bottom line is, Skywest management seems to be a little less sleazy than most other regional management groups out there. Seems to me that the pilots at places with legally binding agreements get things shoved down their throat, and then argue about it for a couple years before anything ever gets resolved. I'll keep what we have now. People keep on saying things could change at the whim of management, and they can. However, it hasn't happened here more than at any other regional airline.

If we were in a situation like the one in the Grapes of Wrath, then I'd be all over a union...but for now, I'll pass....

I'll hit this one outta the park. It's easy: We vote on it, then don't like it, who do we (read most of the pilot group) blame? SGU? Why? We 'voted' on it. It 's called divide and conquer.............and we's bein' played.

Pay attention to what PBR wrote about the 'vote' we had in the past. Sure didn't go the way it was planned, "but it was an IT glitch............we're sorry". That's about as sleazy as you can get.

AF :cool:

Last edited:
Indianboy7 and Skynation, What happens when there is a change in the guard at SkyWest? Jerry isn't 26 last time I checked. You guys are typical 1-2 year guys. "We have it better than most" "We don't need ALPA because our management ALWAYS treats us fair" "Isn't this place great" "Look at our growth" After a couple of more years your eyes get opened a bit and next thing you know you're on the forums screaming for a union. Heck you might even be on the organizing committee. It's happened before.

All of these pay proposals were voted on via the company website. I don't believe it's possible to have an objective, unbiased poll on the company's website. I think it's possible that some of the votes could have been skewed one way or the other.

Gobi Gred said:
Indianboy7 and Skynation, What happens when there is a change in the guard at SkyWest? Jerry isn't 26 last time I checked. You guys are typical 1-2 year guys. "We have it better than most" "We don't need ALPA because our management ALWAYS treats us fair" "Isn't this place great" "Look at our growth" After a couple of more years your eyes get opened a bit and next thing you know you're on the forums screaming for a union. Heck you might even be on the organizing committee. It's happened before.

I have no idea what will happen when uncle jerry leaves.....and I never said that we always get treated fairly, in fact, i've been screwed a few times in my short time here. .. .. ******************** happens.....

I'll say it again....I chose to work here because it seemed like a stable company and a good place to work...no other reasons...the growth and the upgrade times are a nice benefit, but not the reason I came here.

I still think that history is a good indicator of the future...skywest has historically been a decent place to work. Maybe not the best, but definitely not the worst. I had better pay, benefits and quality of life at my last job. I have compromised some things in order to gain others...you can't have everything in life.

To the people who keep on bringing up the voting issues.....My point was to counter the claims of people who keep on screaming that management can do whatever they want at anytime. I'm just pointing out that (regardless of the situation pertaining to the votes) the issue was not forced upon anyone. There was a diplomatic approach towards those changes.

When Jerry leaves, Ron Reber will take over. He's sees eye to eye with Jerry. They both think very alike. Jerry's been grooming him to follow in his footsteps when he leaves.

I also saw on the website double occupancy for IOE. Thats a joke

many close to SGU will tell you that Ron is alreay pretty much running things anyway. I'm not sure if that is true, but a few who work at corporate have told me that JA is less and less visible, whereas Ron is there every day, early till late.

people can (and will) keep trying to tell us how bad we have it at SkyWest. My paycheck and QOL tell me the opposite.

To the people who keep on bringing up the voting issues.....My point was to counter the claims of people who keep on screaming that management can do whatever they want at anytime. I'm just pointing out that (regardless of the situation pertaining to the votes) the issue was not forced upon anyone. There was a diplomatic approach towards those changes

You have done zilch to counter those claims. Mgmt CAN force changes down your throat. They just have not yet chosen to do so. Ask around the crewroom, and find out what Ron (the heir apparent) has said about pilots and moving widgets. Your life as a long term FO may not be as rosy as you currently see it.

I still think that history is a good indicator of the future...skywest has historically been a decent place to work.

Check into Delta's no make that ANY legacy carriers background. It is a pretty picture. A few management missteps later, it is not so sweet.
I have compromised some things in order to gain others...you can't have everything in life.

That is good and well, and many others have done the same. Please just watch how much you compromise, and be cognizant of the concessions you make.

Latest resources

Back