Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EWRJ0225

Pilot
i am looking into applying at these two companies and wanted to get some insight on the pros and cons of either. I live in a crew base for chq, but lack the flight time to get an interview by a few months. Should I go ahead and try to start the application process with skywest, or just wait it out for a shot at RAH

If it were me, I'd wait. Wait a minute... that is me, and I am waiting... (although it isn't necessarily CHQ that I'm waiting for.) And I say that as an SLC native. SKW is seems like good airline, but I just don't see myself there now, even though all through high school and all through college and my initial ratings going to SKW was all I could think about. But for a native of UT, it's kind of cliche already. No thanks. I'll take the East and my beloved Boston Approach.

-Goose

i am looking into applying at these two companies and wanted to get some insight on the pros and cons of either. I live in a crew base for chq, but lack the flight time to get an interview by a few months. Should I go ahead and try to start the application process with skywest, or just wait it out for a shot at RAH

I would consider them comparable, but if you live in base that would have a HUGE positive QOL impact. But bases come and go at the regional level, so there are no long-term guarantees on that.

Also how long will it take you to get another 500 hours? If you're looking at a year or more, you might want to get into 121 and get some seniority going...a lot of things can happen in a year. Also you can most likely get 500 hours in less than 12 months at SKW...at which point you can weigh everything and re-consider CHQ.

If you are viable to be a pilot (time/experience), than you should invest both time and money into organzing and applying at all airlines. Including regionals, majors, fractionals, cargo, all. I really mean it. some airlines will interview you with low time and some will even hire you. Apply and keep them apps current. Some airlines take years to call. One (SWA) even ask how long you have had your app on file. If you can tell them six years it shows you are for real. Plus the airlines are on an up swing and going from regional to major with two to three years will be common in two to three years.

which one?

you know, either one is a really good choice. they are both at the top of their respective games right now, but, that being said, there is a lot to say for being based at home, a whole lot. on top of that, you are guaranteed 12 days off a month as a lineholder with RAH. that is not true here at skywest. to me, and you are asking, i think that those two attributes would trump most anything else that may be a factor in choosing between the two of these airlines.

spg

Latest resources

Back