Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Smoked Toilet

18 AT LAST!
A buddy of mine has this choice to make. Given the Saab at Mesaba and The Bro at SkyWest. Which one would you chose and why?

I'd appreciate any input from guys currently at Mesaba. Got the SkyWest front covered.

Thanks for the help.

S.T.

both are good...can he handle being based in Memphis, Cincinnati, Detroit or Minneapolis? if so...Mesaba

Can he handle being based in San Diego, Palm Springs, Los Angeles, Santa Barbra, Santa Maria, or Monterey?

A friend of mine at Mesaba just done with training on the Saab. He said the upgrade time in the Saab is around 4 years. The upgrade time for the Bro at Skywest is around 2 years, maybe even less. 1st year pay at Mesaba is $24 vs. $19 at SkyW and I think 2nd year pay is about the same at both companies. At Mesaba, it's tough to get into the jet, especially for upgrading. Hope this helps.

-W

At SKW, everyone in the EMB that wants to move over to the jet can do so at the 1 year mark. Pay is $34/hr second year in the jet.

ilkwamh2 said:
A friend of mine at Mesaba just done with training on the Saab. He said the upgrade time in the Saab is around 4 years. The upgrade time for the Bro at Skywest is around 2 years, maybe even less. 1st year pay at Mesaba is $24 vs. $19 at SkyW and I think 2nd year pay is about the same at both companies. At Mesaba, it's tough to get into the jet, especially for upgrading. Hope this helps.

-W

And you get paid in training at Mesaba, whereas SKYW you dont. thats another 3 grand or so in your pocket. not to mention 5 bucks more an hour first year.

Pre-ASA merger, I would have said take Skywest because of the great aircraft and the variety of routes. However, now that the merger with ASA has transpired, it is likely that a negotiating whipsaw scenario will take place in the future to ensure that the already low 70-seat wages continue. Who knows how this merger will ultimately impact career movement or expansion at the combined airline (despite assurances that the operations will remain separate - you never know..). Mesaba's situation seems a bit more stable - so long as NWA remains a viable entity and Mesaba isn't whipsawed against Pinnacle too much to obtain even lower costs...

Personally, I'd rather fly a Brasilia around Socal or up to Sun Valley and Jackson Hole than fly a Saab around the upper Midwest.

I doubt upgrade time will be so short at Skywest for much longer. for a couple reasons one you have a larger pilot base to work through now than you did 1-2 years ago, (more guys in line in front of you) and most likely less deliveries of new aircraft. Another one is if the lists of Skywest and ASA are merged, even MORE guys in front of you this could turn your 3-5 year upgrade into a 5-7 years. Hope for a staple or fences (or not merged duh). Approx 2100 pilots currently with Skywest.
Mesaba only about half the # of pilots 1000 approx. and just starting to add the CRJ's do you really think that Mesaba will stop at 35 new aircraft ? Possible but unlikely IMHO. That given my future telling abilities say there is no way to guess the upgrade time. Go for where he wants to live. I know people at both for what it's worth.

Last edited:
Don't make the decision based on first year differences.
You'll probably be at either regional for 5-8 years minimum.

Give brother Viper an amen for his comment about living in domicile.

Latest resources

Back