• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Erlanger

SkyWest Funding of SAPA

Plaintiffs contend that SkyWest’s 100 percent funding of SAPA violates the
RLA’s prohibition on using “the funds of the carrier in maintaining or assisting or contributing to any labor organization, labor representative, or other agency of collective bargaining . . . .” 45 U.S.C. §152, Fourth. In Barthelemy, the Ninth Circuit explained the prohibition:

Obviously, the line between cooperation and support is not an obvious one.
Permissible cooperation becomes prohibited support once the union’s
independence is compromised. This is a subjective inquiry: the question is
whether the assistance provided the union is in fact depriving employees
their freedom of choice. It is not the potential for but the reality of
domination that these statutes are intended to prevent.

Barthelemy, 897 F.2d at 1016. The Ninth Circuit identified four factors relevant to deciding whether company financial support has stifled employee free choice: (1) whether the employer assistance occurred in response to an outside effort to organize, (2) evidence of the union becoming beholden to the employer, (3) employee approval of agreements between the
union and employer, and (4) whether the employer assistance is sustained or simply a onetime payment. 897 F.2d at 1017.

Plaintiffs have not subjectively demonstrated that SkyWest’s 100 percent funding of SAPA has deprived the pilots of their freedom of choice. First, SAPA was not created in response to any outside effort to organize. Even if the Court does accept the hearsay evidence that SAPA was altered in direct response to a previous ALPA campaign, a modification of a group’s practices in response to employees’ desires after a failed campaign does not raise the same concerns as creating an entirely new organization to quell support for
a union during a campaign. Second, Plaintiffs ask the Court to infer that SAPA must be beholden to SkyWest because of its funding without producing any evidence that SAPA actually has altered its practices or demands in response to management influence. Finally, pilots vote on and approve the agreements SAPA enters into with SkyWest, and the pilots even refused to ratify one agreement without certain modification. Moreover, the President
of SAPA is an ALPA supporter and the record reflects that the relative merits of ALPA versus SAPA are actively debated at SAPA Board meetings.

On the other hand, SkyWest’s unlimited funding of SAPA appears, on its face, to violate the RLA and SkyWest does not contend that there are any cases in the courts or even the NMB that have placed their blessing on such unfettered financial support.

In any event, assuming, without deciding, that SkyWest’s complete and unlimited funding of SAPA violates RLA section 2, Fourth, the Court finds that the balance of hardships strongly counsels in favor of denying a preliminary injunction prohibiting such funding. SAPA has represented the pilots and been fully funded by SkyWest for over ten years without legal challenge. Though the length of SAPA’s existence is not relevant to whether the funding is lawful, it does speak to the amount of “irreparable” harm Plaintiffs
will suffer without a preliminary injunction. Plaintiffs’ challenge could have been brought at any time during these past ten years; nothing of significance has changed. Also, given that the Organizing Committee had been campaigning for well over a year before seeking a preliminary injunction, it is unreasonable to grant the requested relief without the benefit of a
full record. Moreover, SAPA serves several important administrative functions for SkyWest and its pilots, such as facilitating the FAA amnesty program and addressing employee complaints about pay errors and other issues. By prohibiting all SkyWest funding of SAPA, a preliminary injunction would threaten the completion of these activities which would harm both the airline and its pilots.

CONCLUSION

For the reasons explained above, Plaintiffs’ motion for a preliminary injunction is
GRANTED in part and DENIED in part. SkyWest, its officers, agents, servants, employees, and attorneys, and all persons acting by, through, under, or in concert with Defendant, pending a final ruling by the Court on the merits:

1) Are enjoined from prohibiting SkyWest pilots from wearing the dark blue ALPA lanyard with white lettering, and

2) Are enjoined from interfering with SkyWest pilots’ oral communications with
fellow SkyWest pilots regarding ALPA and the ALPA organizing campaign in non-work areas and on non-work time, and from interfering with SkyWest pilots’ communication with fellow SkyWest pilots regarding ALPA and the ALPA organizing campaign through distribution of ALPA-related materials in non-work areas such as bulletin boards and crew lounges.

All other claims for preliminary injunction are denied.

Last edited:
A partial victory, actually. Better than nothing, and some interesting testimony came to light.

Hey,
This was a preliminary decision, final decision will come later. The petition was for an injunction fot the listed issues requesting immediate relief. The judge did not see the need for an immediate decision for the relief on SAPA funding, citing the drive having been in existence for over a year. I think the judge will review the facts and ultimately decide that SAPA is an illegal entity, based on RLA law. My opinion and mine alone, Read the decision and decide for your self.
PBR

Fellow SkyWest Pilots,

On June 27, 2007, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California issued a preliminary injunction upholding SkyWest pilots’ federal rights to discuss and learn more about ALPA and the benefits of union representation. With the preliminary injunction, SkyWest pilots continue to be able to wear ALPA lanyards, talk about ALPA openly and distribute ALPA-related material on non-work time in non-work areas such as the crew lounge or outside the training center, and post ALPA materials on common-use bulletin boards―all rights which the company has sought throughout this process to deny to SkyWest pilots.

After hearing two days of testimony, the Court found “that SkyWest has enforced its lanyard policy in a discriminatory manner” against ALPA supporters. (Judge Breyer’s Opinion, p. 18.) The Court also found that SkyWest has “enforced its bulletin board policy in a discriminatory manner.” (Judge Breyer’s Opinion, p. 19.) As a result, the Court concluded that the Organizing Committee had made a strong showing that SkyWest has unlawfully interfered with the federal right of SkyWest pilots to organize. The Court therefore converted the protections previously contained in the temporary restraining order into a preliminary injunction that will protect pilots’ rights to engage in expressive organizing activity on a longer-term basis going forward.

In its opinion, the Court also addressed SkyWest’s funding of SAPA. Although the Court declined to order SkyWest to cease funding SAPA immediately at this early preliminary injunction stage of the litigation, it did indicate that management’s 100 percent funding of SAPA was almost certainly illegal. The Railway Labor Act (RLA) prohibits using “the funds of the carrier in maintaining or assisting or contributing to any labor organization, labor representative, or other agency of collective bargaining.” The Court specifically stated that “SkyWest’s unlimited funding of SAPA appears, on its face, to violate the RLA and SkyWest does not contend that there are any cases in the courts or even the NMB [National Mediation Board] that have placed their blessing on such unfettered financial support.” (Judge Breyer’s Opinion, p. 24.) The Court will make a determination on the funding issue as part of its final decision on the merits of the case.

This is a significant victory for all SkyWest pilots, as well as airline workers throughout the U.S. seeking union representation. The preliminary injunction vindicates the right of pilots to organize and sends a strong message to SkyWest that it may not discriminate against or attempt to silence pilots who support ALPA. As we move forward with the organizing campaign, we encourage all SkyWest pilots to show your support by wearing ALPA lanyards, attending Organizing Committee informational meetings and other events, and discussing ALPA with fellow pilots in the crew lounges. We have fought hard for our rights—now is the time to exercise them.

The full text of Judge Breyer’s decision is posted at http://skywestalpa.org.

In Solidarity,

The SkyWest Pilots ALPA Organizing Committee
(888) SKY-ALPA
http://skywestalpa.org

SkyWest is simply going along with what is common practice in the Utah economy, they are going to implement their own rules that will best serve the company's goals and build cash in the pockets of their share holders. This is not the only practice in Utah that ignors Federal Law, Next to Jersey and New York it may be the slimiest state in the union and lawmakers are very aware of this! Ever hear of the term Mormon Mafia?

This will continue at SkyWest regardless of what is morally correct and will be accepted by the State in which they operate their headquarters. Judge Breyers decision will do very little to stop any intimidation of ALPA by SkyWest's leaders. SkyWest will simply use scapegoats like Tony F*zer to act out against ALPA in return for future positions within the company. And idiots like Tony should be careful what they are signing up for because they are taking their careers out of their own hands as they become a spokesman against an organization such as ALPA.

SkyWest has always been a great place to work, if you do not get involved with the propoganda and promises made by SAPA. Simply vote for a union when the vote is presented and keep your ears closed as a new-hire in regards to the benefits of SAPA. Your work rules slide everyday to favor company need and will continue to do so. The day a union is approved the SP's will become contract and the sliding will stop!

I wish OO pilots the very best and hope they do not have to cycle through another great SAPA president such as Mr. Nolin in order to have what will be the last vote at SkyWest for union representation. It is time for a contract at SkyWest you guys deserve a binding work agreement.

Peace, JP

Please learn how to use the word lose vs. loose before posting again. It makes your posts lose credibility.

skywest is such a great place to work...and whats with the ALPA hostile take-over? i've already done the alpa thing..i think i'll pass this time........

*these are my opinions only...decide for yourself...i mean...ALPA has worked for Mesa, ASA, and Comair...

Last edited:
skywest is such a great place to work...and whats with the ALPA hostile take-over? i've already done the alpa thing..i think i'll pass this time........

*these are my opinions only...decide for yourself...i mean...ALPA has worked for Mesa, ASA, and Comair...

One could argue that Alpa helped the Comair pilto group from having terms jsut implemented on them during BK.

Do you plan at staying at skywest forever??? Last time I checked, all the legacy's were union, as well as most of the LCCs as well.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back