SkyWest News

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BigDave

Hello to all, I am wondering if there is any new news about hiring plans in the near future for SkyWest. Are all new hires going into the EMB-120? What are competitive times to get an interview? Are they still taking delivery of new airplanes? What are the latest rumors about UAL and the bankruptcy affect on SkyWest? Will this slow down hiring for SkyWest? Thanks in advance for any and all information

I just received my travel passes to get to SLC for my Jan 6th class date. A buddy of mine also got a call today asking if he could make it out for the Jan 6th class instead of the Feb class he was scheduled for. As far as I've heard there are no change in plans for SKW and hiring will continue to be strong. From what I was told at my interview nearly all new hires are going to the Brazilia for now.

Good luck.

SkyWest is planning on 12 newhire classes for the Brasilia in 2003. There will also be SOME newhire jet classes as needed with the next one being in Feb. Giving myself lots of wiggle room, I am looking for about 240-360 newhires in 2003.

I have seen times all over the board among interview candidates. Probably more essential than time is a recommend from a SkyWest pilot or three. The middle ground among those that make it to a Brasilia class is in the neighborhood of 1500-2000TT and 300-600ME.

SkyWest is on track have a net gain of 32 CRJs and to retire 7 Brasilias in 2003. SkyWest is working hard to maintain its relationships as United works through its restructuring. As it does so, SkyWest will continue in providing a quality product to its customers.

Thanks for the information, and...

Thanks for being upfront with the information, it is much appreciated by myself and other newbies...

Two quick questions:

1) Are instructors given consideration or only those with prior 135/121 experience. Is 2100/290 competative, seems to be according to your post, but what is your take on Instruction Given time?

2) Can Information or Resume's be submitted other than the on-line program?

Thanks for helping with whatever info you can give

Tim

I think I can help you out with the 2 questions.
In my class at least 30% were flight instructors only. So yes they will look at flight instructors. 2100 and 290 is competative (get it up to 300 multi would make it look better I think)

BUT like Andy said. If you want the interview, you need a LOR or two from current SkyWest pilots. (the more seniority they have the better) I would not expect a call for an interview without a LOR with your times. I had 2400 total 1000 multi & 200 turbine and didn't hear a work until I called up my captain friend that has 12 years seniority. I sent my resume to my friend and he walked it in with the LOR. The next day they called me for an interview. That is the best way to get your resume to them.

Does anyone know where a good place to get sim prep for the SkyWest interview might be? How about price?

Thanks in advance for your help.

SkyWest Sim Prep

I did mine with American Aviation at SLC which was great for two reasons: 1) The instructor who helped me had just interviewed and answered any qestions I had and, 2) it was within walking distance of the Candlewood/Comfort Suites hotels where you will probably stay.

Get up on all the gouge so you know what to expect and spend several hours getting up to speed in any SIM you have access to (if a CFI) with respect to scan and anticipating all the situations they will throw at you, then just use the time in the ATC-810 as transition training getting used to that SIM.

I spent 1.2 in the ATC-810 (after 5-7 hours in my school's Frasca 142) for just over $100 and was well prepared for the ride.

While studying in my hotel room for my Skywest Interview in early December, I discovered the gouge on http://AviationInterviews.com about taking the simulator prep at American Aviation. I called them up at 3 pm and they were able to fit me in for about an hour starting at 4 pm. Here's their contact info: http://www.airnav.com/airport/SLC/AMERICAN_AV . BTW, call and set up an appt NOW, as I was VERY lucky to get a sim on such short notice. Two big tips for the sim: Brief the approach BEFORE you takeoff so you won't be task saturated in the air; and brief and FULLY set up for the Missed Approach on final so you can hopefully avoid actually having to DO the MA!

The sim prep TRULY paid off, costing only about $75. I did my sim prep with Brandon Rasmussen. He use to fly for SW and can tell you how to fly the sim (throttle settings, approach speeds, etc). He prepped me with the profile that nearly exactly matched what I flew the day of the interview. The profile is fairly easy if you're proficient, but I think it would have been tougher had I NOT been prepared. One guy was eliminated based off the sim :( . It just as easily could have been me. Fortunately, he can try again in six months.

Even if you take the practice sim, be prepared for anything. One of the first questions the SW HR people asked was: "So, how many of you did the sim prep at American Aviation?" Naturally, none of us said "I did," but I think many of us did. ;)

Good luck

In the interview, don't be affraid to tell them that you did some sim prep. From what I understand they are happy to hear that people are willing to take the extra time and money to prepare for the interview. :)

Careful who you talk to

This is true. I might tell the HR folks during the "interview" that I prepared, showing them that I care enough to spend a little extra time/money to get the job. The "so what did you do to prepare for this interview?" question is common.

However, I would NOT advertise it to the sim instructor as we hop in the box that I've practiced the LAX approaches in ATC-810 yesterday in preparation. You might find yourself shooting an approach into SFO instead.

Latest resources

Back