• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest Lawsuit - Pilot wins!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bottom line guys is that "so very tired" is NOT a pilot advocate. He bailed on that part of the profession. He sits behind his little computer with a disdain for pilots. He has even stated multiple times he doesn't give a rip about pilots, nor those on this board. He's just here gettting his jolleys tryin to stir the pot. I think most dont take him seriously anyway because they know he is as troll. At least he does use a little "truth in advertising" with his avatar..."I dont really have a solution to this".

Bottom line guys is that "so very tired" is NOT a pilot advocate. He bailed on that part of the profession. He sits behind his little computer with a disdain for pilots. He has even stated multiple times he doesn't give a rip about pilots, nor those on this board. He's just here gettting his jolleys tryin to stir the pot. I think most dont take him seriously anyway because they know he is as troll. At least he does use a little "truth in advertising" with his avatar..."I dont really have a solution to this".

Hey now, just because I think ALPA leaves a lot to be desired doesn't mean I hate pilots, or even unions, for that matter. I find the back and forth of these threads both interesting and educational. We're all limited by the breadth of our individual experiences; my exposure to ALPA was at Mesa, and I was underwhelmed.

I've heard great things about ALPA medical-issue reviews; it's a thread that universally comes up no matter where you go for information about ALPA. So, "Kudos".

However, my own experience with ALPA-legal years ago led me to start questioning the overall value of the organization; their performance at the legacy carriers and at Mesa in particular for the past decade led me to some new conclusions.

I don't have a "one size fits all" answer. If your carrier sucks (aka Mesa), a union is probably in order, be it ALPA or otherwise . . . but a better option is to go work for a better employer, cuz there's lots out there.

If your carrier is pretty good, there are downsides to having a union as well as some upsides. That's really all I'm suggesting.

BTW --- "Soverytired" was an avatar I came up with while working at my ALPA carrier of Mesa when I was forced to fly all night and sleep either in the back of an a/c or share a hotel room with 3 strangers. For YEARS. And yeah, I was pretty bitter that ALPA could do NOTHING about it, either on the local scheduling level or the national safety level. The things I've seen . . . holy crap!

Using your numbers, assume that 2% of 80k per year was invested in a tax sheltered 401 (k) that grew at 9% annually starting at age 30 and ending at age 65 (cuz we all know the age 65 rule is coming).

NO 2% Dues (you keep and invest): [SIZE=-1]$359,152

vs.

With 2% Dues (for ALPA) : $0

I don't disagree that ALPA may provide a legal service; clearly they do. But just like "free" Canadian health care, it ain't free.

You pay for it. Every. Single. Check. For your whole career, whether you use it or not.

I think the VAST majority of pilots will never need it, and would be better served if they used that money as they saw fit. Dumping it into ALPA coffers "just in case" seems a poor allocation of personal resources.

That 2% is a HUGE lost opportunity over the cost of a lifetime.

[/SIZE]
Hopefully it wasn't in Enron or UAL ESOP stock, or any other number of Wallstreet scams designed to part working folks from their money. I do like your creativity in finding new ways to spin your hate for ALPA. It is refreshing to see some creativity! Unlike xpoop, and skyfag you have traditional neocon repub spin abilities. I especially like your 401(k) estimates. Bottom line, a 2nd or 3rd year pilot wouldn't have the resources DD had, unless their parents coughed up their retirement nest egg. As far as the dues, its the cost of being in modern society and playing the game according rules we have. If you want maximum protection for your chosen career ALPA may be the only game in town, and for the SKYW guys like DD, SAPA didn't quite make the grade for him. I guess the old house, car and medical insurance are a waste of time too!
PBR

Hey now, just because I think ALPA leaves a lot to be desired doesn't mean I hate pilots, or even unions, for that matter. I find the back and forth of these threads both interesting and educational. We're all limited by the breadth of our individual experiences; my exposure to ALPA was at Mesa, and I was underwhelmed.

I've heard great things about ALPA medical-issue reviews; it's a thread that universally comes up no matter where you go for information about ALPA. So, "Kudos".

However, my own experience with ALPA-legal years ago led me to start questioning the overall value of the organization; their performance at the legacy carriers and at Mesa in particular for the past decade led me to some new conclusions.

I don't have a "one size fits all" answer. If your carrier sucks (aka Mesa), a union is probably in order, be it ALPA or otherwise . . . but a better option is to go work for a better employer, cuz there's lots out there.

If your carrier is pretty good, there are downsides to having a union as well as some upsides. That's really all I'm suggesting.

BTW --- "Soverytired" was an avatar I came up with while working at my ALPA carrier of Mesa when I was forced to fly all night and sleep either in the back of an a/c or share a hotel room with 3 strangers. For YEARS. And yeah, I was pretty bitter that ALPA could do NOTHING about it, either on the local scheduling level or the national safety level. The things I've seen . . . holy crap!

I also worked for Mesa. I knew Mesa before they had Alpa and after they had Alpa. Prior to Alpa on the property they were paying $14/flight hour. After, they were still on the low end of the spectrum but made big advancements from where they had been. Did you know Danny Knox? I dont know where he is today, hopefully didn't give up on his career. He was in charge of the B1900 program when I was there. He told me about a situation where he and his first officer where hung out to dry by the company on an FAA violation. He didn't have the funds to fight the battle and Alpa was not yet on the property. When I left he was worried about becoming a Mesa "lifer" because although extremely bright and a good pilot, nobody wanted to look at him with the blemish on his record. When he spoke to my new hire class he was very adament about the benefits of Alpa and how it had improved things and added protections to Mesa that previously werent there, almost at the risk of his director of training job. I got the feeling he really wanted to educate us young guys on what the worth of Alpa was and even though Mesa had "not the best management team" and was still trailing the industry due to said management, Alpa made a huge difference in transforming from where they had been. Danny had no ulterior motive in telling his story. Just a guy trying to educate and was willing to tell a somewhat embarrassing story to illustrate. I appreciated it and have not forgot about Danny. Hes a great guy. Do you know him? The product at Mesa will always suck as long as JO is in there but it could be MUCH MUCH worse. Were you there prior to Alpa being on the property?

PS- Skywest is quickly becoming the "new Mesa" soon followed by the "old Mesa". Sad but true.

Last edited:
Using your numbers, assume that 2% of 80k per year was invested in a tax sheltered 401 (k) that grew at 9% annually starting at age 30 and ending at age 65 (cuz we all know the age 65 rule is coming).

NO 2% Dues (you keep and invest): [SIZE=-1]$359,152

vs.

With 2% Dues (for ALPA) : $0

I don't disagree that ALPA may provide a legal service; clearly they do. But just like "free" Canadian health care, it ain't free.

You pay for it. Every. Single. Check. For your whole career, whether you use it or not.

I think the VAST majority of pilots will never need it, and would be better served if they used that money as they saw fit. Dumping it into ALPA coffers "just in case" seems a poor allocation of personal resources.

That 2% is a HUGE lost opportunity over the cost of a lifetime.

[/SIZE]

So you pay for life insurance? What about health? What about homeowners and auto? Why do you pay for those? Expecting to use them some day? Or hoping that you don't have to but knowing that they are there if you need them?

You'll note that I pick out "ALPA" . . I'm NOT anti-union, but after a decade of failure, I just can't believe ANYONE would go with that outfit.

A decade of failure? I don't think anyone was calling ALPA a failure in 2000 when they negotiated DALs and UALs huge contracts. Yes they had to give up some after 9/11, but how much more would have been lost without them?

So you pay for life insurance? What about health? What about homeowners and auto? Why do you pay for those? Expecting to use them some day? Or hoping that you don't have to but knowing that they are there if you need them?

I don't think soverytired believes in health insurance and all that waisted money business. His whole family is against the insurance concept. Oh sure his brother got cancer, racked up $400,000 in bills before he had to relent to the disease but that was an isloated case. It just doesn't happen to most people who exercise and eat well. Besides prior to his brother getting cancer he had invested the money that would have gone towards health insurance into stocks, 401K and some commodities. He was up $200k before that baazar and isolated case of cancer came up.

A decade of failure? I don't think anyone was calling ALPA a failure in 2000 when they negotiated DALs and UALs huge contracts. Yes they had to give up some after 9/11, but how much more would have been lost without them?

Even after 911, DAL still has some of the best work rules in the industry, all negotiated by Alpa.

- 5:15 daily guarantee for line holders
- DOUBLE PAY for inverse assignment
- Trip/Duty rigs
- Cost of living increases greater than COS Index (ie a third year 737 FO still has an hourly rate of $91+ per hour). A ways from where it used to be but nonetheless much better than a union free shop would have provided GUARANTEED!
- Profit sharing based on formulas that pay out big enough chunks of change (thousands each check) that actually kinda make the pilots feel they are sharing in the success unlike skywests riddled formula that amounts to a few bucks. This is further being diluted at skywest every day.

All the geniuses like sovertired try to write off what alpa has done. Do you think Delta management would have given these work rules out of the goodness of their hearts without Alpa bargaining for them?

Then there is the "look what those unions did for the major airlines after 911....nothing!" argument. Newsflash, BK changes the rules. Even then though much more would have been flushed down the toilet if Alpa wasn't daily involved in negotiating on behalf of the pilots. You can choose to ignore the facts or spin what information you have, at the end of the day, you get what you bargain for and if your bargaining agent is impotent or in bed with managment your ok job becomes less ok until it is barely worth doing anymore. Bottom line, Alpa, helps pilots help themselves. Be ignorant about it like soverytired or make the decision to educate yourself and take better control of your career. You decide.

Last edited:
I dont get it. KB said he lost the lawsuit, but this article seems to say he won??

Im confused here. Did DD win at the end these last couple of days?

PS- Skywest is quickly becoming the "new Mesa" soon followed by the "old Mesa". Sad but true.

Thankfully, I wasn't there prior to ALPA being on the property. I heard the stories. LR could be a first class prick.

I wasn't aware that Skywest is becoming the "new Mesa-old Mesa model." If true, there are a bunch of Mesa fo's who must feel pretty foolish for giving up 3 years seniority to go work for another Mesa.

If it's true, then yep, Skywest needs a union. There's plenty of choices out there; why this board SCREAMS "Alpa only" is beyond me. I've seen the new TA for NetJets, and it seems the teamsters did an exemplary job for those pilots (for example)

Latest resources

Back