skywest/IYK/RNAV

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cobalt

just a quick question for someone at skywest... Just curious about IYK, I see there are just RNAV approaches there... now granted it not cloudy too often there, but do the 120s have RNAV approach capability and/or are you trained for them? if not, what's the weather needed to be dispatched there?

thanks...

Yes. The EMBs can do GPS approaches to IYK, SUN, and SGU, I believe. Not sure about the minimums.

It's a special SKW GPS approach. Mins are 5 miles, and the MDA is 1238' AGL. I'm too lazy to crack open the SOP (and I would need to crack open the SOP because it's been about a year since I've flown there), but if I remember right, we can't take visuals there--every approach is a GPS because of the military airspace.

Anyway, in answer to your question, we do RNAV approaches on a regular basis (especially to SUN... sheesh!).

Edit: We also do other non-precision approaches fairly often. EKO has an LDA, and SGU has a VOR--the times that we've done these are not a few.

Last edited:
Yes. The EMBs can do GPS approaches to IYK, SUN, and SGU, I believe. Not sure about the minimums.

The SkyWest EMB's are authorized for gps approaches that are in the approach plates...not just to the airports you listed. (most airports now have GPS approaches, but the mins arent that great)

Last edited:
While not an EMB guy, I'd like to think most approaches I fly are generally non-precise.

I don't miss that overnight.

I'll bid it a couple of times a years in the late winter/early spring. 40 hour layover with a car rental to go hiking in Death Valley NP when it's in the low 70's is good stuff. Believe it or not, a minivan can go over 110mph on those long straight roads ;)

Latest resources

Back