• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest Had Made Hostile $3.50/Share Bid For ExpressJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There are strategic reasons to keep all of the various carriers (certificates) separate.....The key is to try and achieve a single seniority list, while allowing the company to keep the various carriers separate.....

This is one thing we can all agree on! Republic did it, and although I don't like their lack of ability to transfer between certificates, it's a good thing for their pilot group.

SkyWest pilots: please be quiet. You guys are making yourselves look bad. The kool-aid joke is old, worn, and getting really annoying. And then you come here and start regurgitating the stuff...
I will come to the defense of SkyWest pilots here and say that they are not the ones throwing the Kool-Aid jokes around.

However, now you're getting a glimpse of how so many non-SkyWest guys on here sound with the same old lame Kool-Aid jokes. We just decided to take it, run with it, and run it into the ground since so many of you have already kinda done that.

I'm not sure how that is any different than the constant regurgitation of archaic ALPA rhetoric regarding your desire to put so many out of work that have nothing to do with your contract, rather than ease up on one part of said contract that goes on around here, either. I have a low tolerance for people that would rather put other people out of work than attempt compromise...because that makes you no different than the "management" you so despise.

Ease up on the XJet ALPA Kool-Aid! (Oops, there I go again!)

Last edited:
Thoughts:

-This is not a hostile takeover.

-I suppose Uncle Jerry could whipsaw us against ASA, but it hasn't happened and it most likely won't. And that's why ALPA keeps getting voted down.

-At XJET, being whipsawed should be the least of your worries. First of all, it isn't that likely to happen if you were purchased by SkyWest, Inc. Second of all, your airline is in some pretty deep poop, and you have nobody but your own management to blame. No scope clause will save you there.

-ASA is not an "alter ego" carrier. They are their own company, and doing quite well.

-The SkyWest pilot group did not breach "good faith" with the company with the ALPA drive. We got pay raises. Granted, 1st year FO wasn't quite what I was hoping, but down the line, things will be good.

I guess that's it for now.

-Goose

Last edited:
-I suppose Uncle Jerry could whipsaw us against ASA, but it hasn't happened and it most likely won't. And that's why ALPA keeps getting voted down.

You already have been whipsawed. You either are blind to it, or haven't been there long enough.

How many airplanes with EV/AS registrations are flying around in SkyWest colors? How many more have been re-registered but still say ASA on the certificate of registration? I'm not even going to talk about the 900s, but I still have the memo from CT saying they would be ASA's.

Just because you benefited from it doesn't mean you weren't being whipsawed. Your payrates are an almost identical copy of ASA's... had ASA been able to get theirs higher yours would be higher too...

I have a low tolerance for people that would rather put other people out of work than attempt compromise...because that makes you no different than the "management" you so despise.

What is the compromise here? We give up scope we get to keep our jobs? If there is to be a compromise then both parties need to participate, meaning JA will have to give something to XJT ALPA. Since he has not approached ALPA we do not know what he will do for us yet.

Just because you benefited from it doesn't mean you weren't being whipsawed. Your payrates are an almost identical copy of ASA's... had ASA been able to get theirs higher yours would be higher too...

Hmmm... isn't the term "whipsawed" by definition describing not benefiting? Wouldn't a whipsaw scenario be like ASA getting higher pay rates and then managment saying that in order to get the same pay rates, we'd have to give up something else? That didn't happen. We never gave up anything. It may be true that our pay rates may be better if ASAs were, but I wouldn't consider that a whipsaw. The pay is the same, and I think that show's just the opposite of whipsawing--fairness among separate pilot groups--a condition that really doesn't have to exist.

I mean, I guess you could consider the ebb and flow of DCI airplanes as "whipsawing." I tend to look at it as "running a profitable operation" or "making decisions based on strategic factors that I am not aware of being a line pilot," or "keeping Mother Delta happy." Sorry if I don't have a self-annihilating distrust for management.

-Goose

Last edited:
In order for one side of the see-saw to go down, the other side has to go up.

Dude, no. That's the definition of zero sum. It's not a see-saw, or a whipsaw, or any other manner of saw. You're saying if we're up, then ASA must have to go down. But ASA isn't going down, it's going up. And we're not going down either. It simply isn't working in the see-saw fashion. I'm not saying our management is perfect, and I'm definitely not saying that I agree with every decision. However, I am saying that we have it a lot better off than a lot of people do, and ASA doesn't need to go "down" to make it so.

Well, I'm out for the night. Take care...

-Goose

Last edited:
What is the compromise here? We give up scope we get to keep our jobs? If there is to be a compromise then both parties need to participate, meaning JA will have to give something to XJT ALPA. Since he has not approached ALPA we do not know what he will do for us yet.
I don't really know or claim to know what the compromise is here...what I do know is you guys are already vocal in your willingness to throw everyone else in the company under the bus and into the unemployment line just to be able to say you stood up to "the man".

I understand you have an "obligation to 'the profession'" but, sometimes it takes the bigger man to pick your battles and do what is right for everyone...for your F/A's, your dispatchers, your ground personnel...and not just you. Of course, that would require your pilot ego to allow your pilot brain to think about someone other than yourself and I know that is asking a whole helluva lot from some of you.

Now, back to happy-fun joketime, because that's what dispatchers do best...I got your "whipsaw" right here, suckers!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back