• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest Had Made Hostile $3.50/Share Bid For ExpressJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner! You are all to doom and gloom. All Skywest INC wants is the flexibility to put flying from any major carrier with any of the 3 airlines.(SKW,ASA,XJT)

So why not have a single list then? That's got to be easier and more productive than juggling three different entities.

And so it begins at the Regional level...............

Some one gets it.
I respect your contract and all the work it took to secure it. But if you're out of work, what good is an industry leading contract?

It's one thing to play tough guy on these forums and then there's the reality of things to come. Reality is you will be furloughed or worst (most likely) the whole place is shut down like an ACA/Independence. Remember them? How's that for an incentive? And who's hiring these day? And if the President and BODs of XJT decide they finally want this deal, they'll get you guys to acquiesce.

Because you may be out of a job if you're not willing to give a little...

Then maybe that's a good option for you. However I suspect there are others who would be willing to compromise in order to keep working. Mind you, I'm not talking about compromising pay. ASA pilots haven't taken a pay cut since Skywest took over. I'm just suggesting some compromise on scope might be worth keeping a job.

How much are you willing to give up to keep a job?
How much does that hurt the profession in the long run?

unfortunately you don't have a choice in the matter. if skywest buys xjet they can pretty much do what they want. if you guys don't want to fly it, asa and skywest will get more crjs and do the flying. your other choice is to stand strong and watch your job go right out the window.

Actually, our CBA is binding to any successor. If we give up scope, there is nothing to prevent Skywest from taking the flying.

..but for those pilots who don't really have the option to "do something else and make the same money", what happens to them when this whole deal falls through because you "stood firm" and you all lose your jobs when CAL discontinues XJT's CPA?

I can't speak for the rest of the pilot group. I'm not interested in doing anything that drags the profession down any more. Many of the arguments presented on this thread suggest that we should do whatever it takes to save our jobs. If the XJT pilot group falls into that thinking, the only thing we will have accomplished is to lower the bar for everyone. I'm not interested in becoming the next Mesa.

Last edited:
Since you guys will be in negotiations next, why don't you negotiate that single list for us?

According to a lot of folks around here, we won't be around past Christmas. :erm:

I don't think the folks in St. George are all that anxious to see that. Can you imagine if all 7700 pilots were on one list? That's a big group.

My question is if it's all about flexibility and productivity, wouldn't it be better to operate as a single entity as opposed to 2 or 3?

April 7, 2008

Dear Jim and George:

We understand that SkyWest, Inc. (“SkyWest”) has delivered to you an offer to acquire ExpressJet Holdings, Inc. (“ExpressJet”). In connection with your consideration of such offer, we wanted to inform you of our understanding with SkyWest regarding a new capacity purchase agreement (“CPA”) and our intentions regarding our existing contractual relationship.

First, we confirm that we have negotiated a new CPA with SkyWest, which would become effective if SkyWest is successful in acquiring ExpressJet (which, in turn, is subject to due diligence, among other things), and that we would consent to the change of control that would occur upon such an acquisition.

Second, absent our entering into a new CPA with savings of the magnitude we have negotiated with SkyWest, we currently expect to deliver to ExpressJet on June 28, 2008, a notice to withdraw 51 of the existing 205 Covered Aircraft from the current CPA, beginning in December 2009. Further, although we have the right to terminate the existing CPA at any time, we currently anticipate we will not extend the term of the current CPA (which we must do, if at all, by December 31, 2008), and thus the current CPA would simply expire in accordance with its terms beginning on December 31, 2010, with the expectation that all aircraft would be removed from the current CPA by the end of 2012.

We hope this information is helpful to you.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey J. Misner
Executive Vice-President and Chief Financial Officer
Continental Airlines, Inc.

Somehow, I missed the implications of those two paragraphs. Skywest has a CPA with CAL if they buy XJT. If not, XJT can keep their current flying if they agree to the same rates Skywest offered. Talk about arm twisting!

Time for some whiskey. This whole thing is just depressing.:beer:

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner! You are all to doom and gloom. All Skywest INC wants is the flexibility to put flying from any major carrier with any of the 3 airlines.(SKW,ASA,XJT) They are huge on being productive. They just don't want to be bound and lose the ability to be productive. They want to be able to put flying with whatever group has the ability to do it most effectively. This could be because geographical location, staffing levels, etc.

A prime example of this is the Freedom flying out of Orlando. It made the most sense for ASA to do this and not SKW. If CAL flying comes available in a certain area or at a certain time they want to have the ability to put it with whichever airline makes since.

Thats fine, but put us all on one list with one CPA... Lets combine XJT/ASA/SKYW, vote on representation, then combine the lists - the unions can just arbitrate it out, SKYW can send whoever negotiates for their pilot group and we'll send our ALPA guys... It'll work out.

But I'm not about to vote away our scope (section 1 and letter 1) so that SkyWest can "be productive" and watch them grow at my expense. I would rather be out of work than watch CAL flying be flown by SkyWest newhires while our guys nurse their 4 year upgrades.

What's to be worried about?

Last edited:
How about this... UAL and CAL merge and become CAL. Just like NWA/DAL are becoming Delta.. If SkyWest buy Expressjet then "because of your contract" you would have to fly all the old United flying that just became CAL flying overnight with a merger!! SkyWest Inc. Is just doing what they do best..

Why would Skywest want to buy a company with only 50 seat jets? Aren't most the airlines saying these things don't make money anymore.

Latest resources

Back