• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest Ground Handling

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anybody want to guess why DAL would do that? I talked to some DAL guys while jumpseating...they seemed to think that DAL was just trying to preserve jobs for it's own employees. My concern is that DAL is laying the groundwork to boot SKW out of SLC. Not sure if ATL and SGU are getting along well these days...

1. Cost Cutting--They can save about 33% on labor by replacing current employees with someone making $8 per hour and no or lesser benefits.

2. Modular Flight Operations--By taking over the ground operations, it will allow them to "Plug-n-Play" regional airline's flight operations. If a regional doesn't perform or has labor relations that may threaten the mainline operation, then it makes it easier to replace that regional. WHIPSAW

3. Seamless Customer Service--concept allows a higher degree of seamless service and quality control. Mainline will have direct control over the customer service product. In the future, it will be an employee that will only do it the Mainline way.

4. Airplane Ownership--In the future, mainline will own enough of the airplanes in the feeder fleet where they can allocate or reallocate those planes where they see fit. It facilitates the Plug-N-Play concept. Just take the airplanes from one regional, remove and replace the sticker on the front, and transfer it to another regional. Depending on direction of negotiations, Pinnacle may get the first dose of that medicine.

5. Reduced Control--By implementing this concept, individual Regional Control is reduced further. Basically, a regional carrier will consist of a small mangagement structure that controls employees that are only comprised of Mechanics, Flight Attendants, and Pilots. All other business functions will be executed by Mainline. For the most part, since the airplanes will be controlled by Mainline, a regional is nothing more than a wet-leasing flight ops, temp agency. Strict Cost Control will follow. They decide what you will get paid and what your benefits will be. There will be no more pattern bargaining. In fact, there will probably be no more Unions. Welcome to the Walmart World!

1. Cost Cutting--They can save about 33% on labor by replacing current employees with someone making $8 per hour and no or lesser benefits.

2. Modular Flight Operations--By taking over the ground operations, it will allow them to "Plug-n-Play" regional airline's flight operations. If a regional doesn't perform or has labor relations that may threaten the mainline operation, then it makes it easier to replace that regional. WHIPSAW

3. Seamless Customer Service--concept allows a higher degree of seamless service and quality control. Mainline will have direct control over the customer service product. In the future, it will be an employee that will only do it the Mainline way.

4. Airplane Ownership--In the future, mainline will own enough of the airplanes in the feeder fleet where they can allocate or reallocate those planes where they see fit. It facilitates the Plug-N-Play concept. Just take the airplanes from one regional, remove and replace the sticker on the front, and transfer it to another regional. Depending on direction of negotiations, Pinnacle may get the first dose of that medicine.

5. Reduced Control--By implementing this concept, individual Regional Control is reduced further. Basically, a regional carrier will consist of a small mangagement structure that controls employees that are only comprised of Mechanics, Flight Attendants, and Pilots. All other business functions will be executed by Mainline. For the most part, since the airplanes will be controlled by Mainline, a regional is nothing more than a wet-leasing flight ops, temp agency. Strict Cost Control will follow. They decide what you will get paid and what your benefits will be. There will be no more pattern bargaining. In fact, there will probably be no more Unions. Welcome to the Walmart World!

Makes sense.

I heard that DAL was taking over Montana...but that's just the tip of the iceberg. Rumor has it that DAL wants to take over all ground handling in SLC...if true, that will impact hundreds of SKW ground employees.

It would impact SKW employees but I don't think SKW would mind that. They could get rid of alot of employees, greatly reduce their benefits cost and let DAL take all the blame for the ground handling problems.

Anybody want to guess why DAL would do that? I talked to some DAL guys while jumpseating...they seemed to think that DAL was just trying to preserve jobs for it's own employees. My concern is that DAL is laying the groundwork to boot SKW out of SLC. Not sure if ATL and SGU are getting along well these days...

SKW owns the rights to the "E" gates in SLC for the next 100 years. This could turn into a bluffing game with DAL and SKW over who's going to budge over the those gates. SKW owns all their planes. SKW could them try to do an Expressjet or ACA type branding with those jets and the gates. Or I'm sure SKW could also find another carrier to move into SLC and codeshare for them. Would DAL risk it?

DAL would be barking up the wrong tree, do not, repeat do not stand between SGU and their cash tree, it's kinda like having your pockets stuffed with bacon, with a hungry Tasmanian Devil sitting on the couch next to you.
Bad Idea!
PBR

DAL would be barking up the wrong tree, do not, repeat do not stand between SGU and their cash tree, it's kinda like having your pockets stuffed with bacon, with a hungry Tasmanian Devil sitting on the couch next to you.
Bad Idea!
PBR

BACON BACON BACON!!!! I SMELL BACON!!!! GIMME SOME F'N BACON!!!!!!!!

Trojan

SKW owns the rights to the "E" gates in SLC for the next 100 years. This could turn into a bluffing game with DAL and SKW over who's going to budge over the those gates. SKW owns all their planes. SKW could them try to do an Expressjet or ACA type branding with those jets and the gates. Or I'm sure SKW could also find another carrier to move into SLC and codeshare for them. Would DAL risk it?

Expressjet or ACA type branding? And how did that work out?

Another carrier move into SLC and codeshare?

Hmmm--Who would that be and where would their armada park?

Who do you think is the real 800 LB. Silverback Gorilla in this equation?

Latest resources

Back