• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest Employee Stock Purchase Program and 401K

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
With the new contract the discrimination test is performed just against ASA pilots, which should prevent the HCE trigger from happening. I assume ExpressJet is the same way.

Previously, we were compared with all ASA employees, most of which didn't contribute to the 401k. I think company-wide ASA is at 30% participation, which is why we ran into trouble with it before.

At SkyWest Airlines it was just the opposite, when the test was run against just the pilot group the HCE bias was even worse than compared to the entire employee group. The HCE group has been offered a Deferred Compensation Plan but I have not been able yet to invesitigate it.

For the last 5 years I have been getting money back from my 401K plan that is taxed at sky high levels.

There are quite a few at ASA and Skywest that hit the 100K threshold every year...Many ASA pilots ran into this problem.....
With the new contract the discrimination test is performed just against ASA pilots, which should prevent the HCE trigger from happening. I assume ExpressJet is the same way.

Previously, we were compared with all ASA employees, most of which didn't contribute to the 401k. I think company-wide ASA is at 30% participation, which is why we ran into trouble with it before.
That's all true...but for years it was an issue. Many pilots had their contributions returned because they "made too much"....another case of social engineering that hurts people...

This may explain why it was never an issue at XJT and now ASA with its new contract but it is for Skywest.

Last edited:
I can see where the cut off can be higher when using only the pilot group for the HCE calculation, but somebody's still got to be in the top 20%. Are the top 20 not investing beyond the average levels of the bottom 80?

I can see where the cut off can be higher when using only the pilot group for the HCE calculation, but somebody's still got to be in the top 20%. Are the top 20 not investing beyond the average levels of the bottom 80?

Not from what I have been told, I think the problem stems from the newer employees not contributing enough to their 410K's. As I understand it if every employee fully contributed there would be no HCE refund required.

Not from what I have been told, I think the problem stems from the newer employees not contributing enough to their 410K's. As I understand it if every employee fully contributed there would be no HCE refund required.

ASA automatically starts new pilots with a 3% 401k contribution. Now, they can opt out of it, but maybe that's the difference.

ASA automatically starts new pilots with a 3% 401k contribution. Now, they can opt out of it, but maybe that's the difference.

Yeah, XJT does that also but I think they start you at 5%. You can opt out or lower/raise the contribution also.

I know there are folks who make more than me, and the HCE is based on hte Federal Taxable Gross plus the 401k contribution back in...

Therefore, you're looking at anybody making over $115,000 and fully contributing (or 103,000 and contributing $3k) being considered HCE. As the literature from MK said, SkyWest has failed both the ADP and ACP portions, which I think is both percentage and absolute contributions. Still pisses me off, don't know why we don't automatically enroll people [almost zero added cost] and match 2% from 90 days on...[small added costs considering it's first year pay across all crafts].

Oye.

I looked over the Deferred Compensation Plan (SkyWest) and the big thing that I don't like is that the assets are considered the company's. In the event of bankruptcy the creditors could go after them. Also you cannot roll over to an IRA. So what happens when you leave SkyWest? Do you have to leave your money in the plan until retirement? The fund choices are pretty limited. The positives of the plan are no maximum contributions, no mandatory distributions and tax deferred savings.

I looked over the Deferred Compensation Plan (SkyWest) and the big thing that I don't like is that the assets are considered the company's. In the event of bankruptcy the creditors could go after them. Also you cannot roll over to an IRA. So what happens when you leave SkyWest? Do you have to leave your money in the plan until retirement? The fund choices are pretty limited. The positives of the plan are no maximum contributions, no mandatory distributions and tax deferred savings.

My deferred compensation plan is called a 401k or IRA. Curious as to what this other plan is that you are talking about?

Latest resources

Back