• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest Contact at ASA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sinca - Skip Barnette told me that we would be the best paid regional airline, Comair plus 1%, then we were told that Comair's contract was the best they could do, then we were told we would get additional airplanes for an extension of our current contract, then we were told "no net gain," now we are told that we must take concessions or be shrunk out of existence.

Just because the deal was on the table, doesn't mean it is still on the table.

SuperKooter said:
Pay increase on the 50 is all I care about, that and getting growth

Then you are truly selfish and short sighted.

Bryan LaBreque told me that we are "Trusted and Respected" Regional Airline.

~~~^~~~ said:
Atkin said SkyWest's contract was too high on the 50 seater and other areas of the contract exceeded the market we needed to compete in.

When asked about just giving us the Skywest contract Jerry said it was too much on the 50 seater.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that after he finishes with ASA, his next project with be SkyWest. He is also shopping for another carrier to add to his airline.

Fins,
You beat me to it. I hope the pilots at SkyWest know this.

Jerry is aware that the SKW contract would probably float here, whether or not we really know what is in it.

I sat in the same crew room as him a few months back when on more than one occaision this idea was passed to him.

Not sure if that means he doesn't like the SKW contract or not, but he's already backed away from their 70-seat agreement.

First of all there really isn't a "SkyWest contract." There is a set of policies which are fairly flexible and riddled with more holes than swiss cheese. However in the SkyWest culture it seems to work. It would NOT work in the union culture at ASA.

For example, when someone feels like a policy has been violated, they can write up a complaint (i.e. akin to a grievance). However, even if a ruling is made in that persons favor, at SkyWest the ruling does not become precident. Is the union willing to give up that?

I don't see the present "SkyWest contract" working well for ASA employees or management. Of course unless you want to throw out your union culture as well.

I am so tired of hearing people say "There IS NO Skywest contract, just a loose set of work rules that can be changed at the stroke of a pen"

Yes, yes, we ALL KNOW that they don't have an actual contract. But what people are saying is that they would vote yes for a contract of our own based on the Skywest work rules that they currently have whatever you wan't to call it.

As for Pref bidding. I don't want it, and I'll bet you don't want it either. But our company has stated that after the contract has been settled, we will go to a pref bidding system, and that the pilots that they have spoken with want it also. I'm not sure who those pilots were.

COOPERVANE said:
I am so tired of hearing people say "There IS NO Skywest contract, just a loose set of work rules that can be changed at the stroke of a pen"

Yes, yes, we ALL KNOW that they don't have an actual contract. But what people are saying is that they would vote yes for a contract of our own based on the Skywest work rules that they currently have whatever you wan't to call it.

Now now Francis, no need to get worked up. The point of the thread was to answer the question why Jerry wouldn't go for the same work rules/pay at ASA as he does at SkyWest. If you want to ignore the cultural differences between the two companies that's up to you. But therein lies the answer.

If ASA would get the SKYW contract ALPA would become irrelevant that’s why we don't have it. ALPA is only looking out for their own Asses, for a group that claims to look out for pilots they seem to only look out for themselves.

Latest resources

Back