Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

maddog805

Posted by SkyWest jumpseat coordinator:
As most of you already know Mesa Management has decided to exclude us (SkyWest pilots)from all Mesa Group Airline jumpseats. Our management has decided to reciprocate, and we will now deny all Mesa Group Airline pilots from our jumpseat. I have been on the phone with the Mesa Jumpseat coordinator most of this morning trying to work things out. It is his (Mesa JSC's) opinion that this whole thing will blow over as soon as the two pilot groups are merged. There will be a vote on this issue on March 7th and it is his (JSC's) opinion that the measure will pass. This will merge the pilot groups into one seniority list thereby making Freedom Air a "non-issue". It was my recomendation to our management that we continue to carry Mesa pilots until the vote had been tallied, but our management decided to recind the agreement immediately.

SkyWest Pilots voted not to allow Freedumb in our jumpseat, so Mesa management excluded SkyWest from ALL Mesa jumpseats. So in response to Mesa's move, Mesa pilots (all) are not allowed jumpseat on SkyWest.

What a bummer, especially for pilots that commute.

Screw Mesa management..

Any SkyWest guy who needs a ride can get one ANYTIME from me. Bypass the gate and come talk to the Captain. BTW Thanks for banning the Freebumb guys from riding on yours! Fly safe...

mesa guys, ya'll are welcome on our jumpseat as well, we'll tell the CSA's here in MRY.

Has this "ultimatum" been given to all other airlines that don't allow freedom, even ALPA carriers??? If so, prepare for a jumpseat battle. It's very unfortunate, and hopefully will be reversed asap. Every SkyWest pilot that I ran into was PO'd about this, but not one wants to give in under the terms that you're director of ops gave us. Plus, why is the MESA DO making this rule. Isn't freedom a different certificate??

Hopefully this will get reversed in time for me to go catch a few spring training games in Phoenix next week!!!
Mookie

I know other carriers told Freedumb to take a hike when thier JSC called asking for a reciprocal. (ACA, I think) Did Mesa do the same to those guys as well?

--03M

Last edited:
To all the MESA guy's who wanna jumpseat on my plane I say WELCOME!!! I don't care what our jumpseat coordinator told your jumpseat coordinator & vice versa. This whole thing wouldn't even be an issue if Free-dumb went away.

Now, all you ex-MESA Freedom guys who are trying to jumpseat on my airplane using a fake I.D. I say WELCOME.........I hope you enjoy the seat for 2 minutes before law enforcement comes over & takes you to a more "Appropriate place":D

I am not sure what is the Freedom-Mesa staus right now so far as certificae staus goes, but here is what ACA has said insofar as Jumpseat goes..
any MESA pilot is permitted jumpseat, but no FREEDOM pilot will be permitted. Now with the integration of Freedom into Mesa, I don't know exactly what the guidance is. Our last Approved Jumpseat list has Mesa on it but not Freedom. We have never banned bona-fide Mesa pilots.

The merge hasn't happened yet.

Freedom only gets merged back into the Mesa seniority list ONLY if and when the TA gets approved. Until that happens the only guys flying for freedom are the ones who volunteered to go the anti-union route. After the TA goes through, Freedom will be reintegrated and will be all ALPA pilots again and hopefully the Freedom name and certificate will go away.

As far as JO banning Skywest guys from Mesa jump seats, I can't see how he can swing that legally, they are two seperate carriers and the JS agreements are supposed to be negotiated seperately are they not? But after all the guy is a convicted felon after all so don't count on him to ever do the legal, ethical or moral thing. I think being a convicted felon seems to actually be a good selling point on a CEO's resume these days.

A few posts above have already asked if JO has banned any other carriers from Mesa jumpseats...but no answer yet. I'm curious to see if this is just against SkyWest, because I seem to recall that no other carriers wanted to give Freedom the jumpseat. Are any other carriers being banned? And if not, any idea why SkyWest is being singled out for punishment? Thanks

Latest resources

Back