• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest acquisition

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war.

embdrvr, Bravo!

Thanks. pardon my ignorance, but who is ERA aviation...and u mean to tell me Skywest isnt acquiring Great Lakes??? hahahaha

embdrvr said:
Nice work of fiction.
CP's don't do interviews.
Revealing non-public information could be a violation of SEC rules.
If Era is non-union then SkyWest might acquire them though. Nothing is impossible. They used to own Scenic.
Well - it may have been not the CP - somebody up in management (interview department for all that it matters).

For those who don't know who Era is, they are a regional airline in Anchorage and fly throughout South Central Alaska and operate under Alaska Airlines codeshare - they also have a base out in Bethel, Alaska where they serve 17 villages.
Fleet consists of 9 Twin Otters, 3 Dash 8's and two aging Convairs which will be gone this year and suppossedly replaced with Dash 200's or 300's.
Era is non-union, something SKW would like I imagine. If they were to acquire us, I'm thinking they'd sell off the BET base to somebody out in the bush and pretty much park the rest of the fleet and fly Brasilias to the 5 destinations Era flys to out of ANC (ENA, HOM, VDZ, ADQ abd CDV).
Anyways I'll stop here - just a rumor and suppossedly Rowan Drilling (current owner) will decide on July 23rd if they are going to retain Era or not..........should be interesting. For those that want more info, go to www.flyera.com or www.eraaviator.com (emplyoee site, but may contain info you can access).

Anybody think the above fiction might have a possibility of becoming a non-fiction?

Doubt it. Right now, nobody with any sense would touch an airline up here with a ten foot pole, especially one with many of it's eggs in the BET mail basket. Thanks Mr. Stevens and the RSIA.

I think Mesaba is a prime candidate for an aquisition. NW and the pre programmed mgmt team (i'm convinced NW has implanted chips into their brains) that we have at Mesaba have single handedly devalued our company over the last few years from $38/share to about $8 today. Not to mention the cash position and viturally ZERO debt the company holds, IMO makes it a prime targer for an aquistion. The only stumbling block Skywest may have is well, BIG RED and the fact that some groups at XJ are unionized. Our successorship language calls for us to retain our current contract... something Skywest would probably rather not deal with, meaning unionized workers. God help us all is Mesa wants to buy MAIR.

FO

posted to be flamed

I heard that Skywest is going after US Airways. After all, US Airways is a regional, right?

The World According to Lowecur

Skywest, Mesa, or Republic would not buy any regionals that owned a slew of RJ's. The last thing they need are more RJ's. In another 5 years, there will be at least 500 of these a/c parked in the desert. Of course AMR and DL would love to get rid of their regional carriers at this point, but no one is willing to pay them anything and trying to spin them off in an IPO would be fruitless. Plus DL in on the hook for Skywests CL65's as was discussed on a previous thread.

The next 6 months will be pivotal as a big upheavel takes place. My thoughts are that UAL will not get the ATSB loan guaranty (thus keeping them in bankruptcy for a while longer, and will have to downsize about 20%); UAIR will not get the help they need from all the unions, forcing them back into bankruptcy (asset sale will then procede); DL will file for bankruptcy, as the longer it takes to get an agreement the more Greenjeans will want (I understand he's up to 34% from 30% for the pilots). The eventual failure of ATA will expedite the return of more mailine a/c, thus replacing the RJ on many routes.

If UAL and UAIR need to downsize further (meaning mainline and regional), then Mesa and Republic will probably go the route of LCC startups. The DL situation will dictate what Skywest will do, but a bankruptcy or cutback of Skywest routes will more than likely trigger a return to DL of the CL65's and an LCC startup. I look for all three of these carriers maintaining smaller relationships on a regional basis with some of the legacys.

"there will be at least 500 of these a/c parked in the desert"

I'd be careful about latching on to what Boyd has to say about the regional side of the industry.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back