Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HMR

I Live by the River.
Apologies if this has already been posted...

Watch the first 30 seconds or so of this video.
How do guys pull out of these dives without overstressing the plane?

The first one looks like it has a chute attached to the tail.

But the Pilatus (I think that's what it is) looks like it's just motoring straight to the ground.:confused:

Reverse?

VNugget said:
Maybe, but I thought Wayne Handley was the only one who could pull that off.;)

Judging from the speed of the free-falling skydivers, it looks pretty fast.

I wonder what Vmo is on those planes?

HMR said:
The first one looks like it has a chute attached to the tail.

But the Pilatus (I think that's what it is) looks like it's just motoring straight to the ground.:confused:

Deffinately a drag chute on the tail.

I used to fly jumpers, and onec on of them bet me I couldn't beat him to the ground. After giving the engine 5 minutes to cool down and let the jumpers get out of the way, I spun the plane from 10.5 to touchdown in 136 sec.

they are flying with a Drouge. I have the full DVD its amazing. The first time the porter tries to do it the drouge breaks off and you can just see the skydivers disappear. Alot of people in that movie are no longer with us. Too bad. Rob and Patrick where some good jumpers.

On a similar note, is anyone here familiar enough with the propeller governors on the turboprops used in skydiving to tell me what mechanism keeps the propellers from overspeeding? I am familiar with tha Hamilton Standards used on the PW-100 series engines and would not want to trust the Beta microswitch with my life. Are the Caravan's, Pilatus', Otter's, etc set up better for this type of dive?

I see Caravans do this all the time and it makes me shudder. What makes it safe (I sure that it must be)? Very curious.

Hey doug.....what you doing these days....heard you got on with some dash 8 outfit.....or did they do a backround check? Im good. Bidding on Ohare this week. Hopefully get me out of this tower. Its driving me crazy

Latest resources

Back